Feb 1, 2014, 6:43 PM EST
Ryan Callahan isn’t discussing the persisting trade rumors that are swirling around him and the New York Rangers.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” said Callahan, as per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
On Friday, Callahan, the team’s captain, made his thoughts on the Rangers known, telling Katie Strang of ESPN New York that, “My heart’s here.”
The last update was that Callahan’s agent has permission to talk directly to other teams, which is only adding to the speculation about whether he’ll remain with the Rangers or be dealt to another club. He’s a pending unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t signed a contract extension with New York.
The roster freeze for the Olympics begins Feb. 7.
But while Callahan isn’t about to open up about trade talk, his teammates know it would be a big loss to the Rangers.
“I’m biased obviously, but considering what he means to this team, what he’s taught me and what he’s meant to my pro career, it would be very tough to see him go … The business side of this sport is difficult.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52