Feb 1, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan isn’t discussing the persisting trade rumors that are swirling around him and the New York Rangers.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” said Callahan, as per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
On Friday, Callahan, the team’s captain, made his thoughts on the Rangers known, telling Katie Strang of ESPN New York that, “My heart’s here.”
The last update was that Callahan’s agent has permission to talk directly to other teams, which is only adding to the speculation about whether he’ll remain with the Rangers or be dealt to another club. He’s a pending unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t signed a contract extension with New York.
The roster freeze for the Olympics begins Feb. 7.
But while Callahan isn’t about to open up about trade talk, his teammates know it would be a big loss to the Rangers.
“I’m biased obviously, but considering what he means to this team, what he’s taught me and what he’s meant to my pro career, it would be very tough to see him go … The business side of this sport is difficult.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 59
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22