Feb 1, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan isn’t discussing the persisting trade rumors that are swirling around him and the New York Rangers.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” said Callahan, as per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
On Friday, Callahan, the team’s captain, made his thoughts on the Rangers known, telling Katie Strang of ESPN New York that, “My heart’s here.”
The last update was that Callahan’s agent has permission to talk directly to other teams, which is only adding to the speculation about whether he’ll remain with the Rangers or be dealt to another club. He’s a pending unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t signed a contract extension with New York.
The roster freeze for the Olympics begins Feb. 7.
But while Callahan isn’t about to open up about trade talk, his teammates know it would be a big loss to the Rangers.
“I’m biased obviously, but considering what he means to this team, what he’s taught me and what he’s meant to my pro career, it would be very tough to see him go … The business side of this sport is difficult.”
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 24
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 80
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 8
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 62
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36