Feb 1, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan isn’t discussing the persisting trade rumors that are swirling around him and the New York Rangers.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” said Callahan, as per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
On Friday, Callahan, the team’s captain, made his thoughts on the Rangers known, telling Katie Strang of ESPN New York that, “My heart’s here.”
The last update was that Callahan’s agent has permission to talk directly to other teams, which is only adding to the speculation about whether he’ll remain with the Rangers or be dealt to another club. He’s a pending unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t signed a contract extension with New York.
The roster freeze for the Olympics begins Feb. 7.
But while Callahan isn’t about to open up about trade talk, his teammates know it would be a big loss to the Rangers.
“I’m biased obviously, but considering what he means to this team, what he’s taught me and what he’s meant to my pro career, it would be very tough to see him go … The business side of this sport is difficult.”
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 59
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5