Feb 1, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan isn’t discussing the persisting trade rumors that are swirling around him and the New York Rangers.
“I’m not going to talk about that stuff now,” said Callahan, as per ESPN New York. “I don’t think it’s productive to the process, the negotiations or anything.”
On Friday, Callahan, the team’s captain, made his thoughts on the Rangers known, telling Katie Strang of ESPN New York that, “My heart’s here.”
The last update was that Callahan’s agent has permission to talk directly to other teams, which is only adding to the speculation about whether he’ll remain with the Rangers or be dealt to another club. He’s a pending unrestricted free agent, and hasn’t signed a contract extension with New York.
The roster freeze for the Olympics begins Feb. 7.
But while Callahan isn’t about to open up about trade talk, his teammates know it would be a big loss to the Rangers.
“I’m biased obviously, but considering what he means to this team, what he’s taught me and what he’s meant to my pro career, it would be very tough to see him go … The business side of this sport is difficult.”
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)