Feb 1, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had a rare night on Thursday as both of their netminders were hurt in their 5-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
Anders Lindback will be unavailable for the Lightning’s contest against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon and they might not have Ben Bishop either. With that in mind, Tampa Bay summoned goaltenders Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis from AHL Syracuse.
Even as far as AHL call ups go, neither is a particularly appealing option. Gudlevskis, 21, has only participated in 21 AHL contests and has a 2.78 GAA and .898 save percentage with Syracuse. He was taken in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so the fact that he’s already in the NHL underscores just how bad the Lightning’s situation is.
Desjardins hasn’t done much better in Syracuse this season. On top of that, the 28-year-old has only appeared in five career NHL contests.
The Lightning have lost two straight games and a regulation defeat against Montreal today would put the Canadiens just two points away from Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 4
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 3
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 28
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 102
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 8
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36