Feb 1, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had a rare night on Thursday as both of their netminders were hurt in their 5-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
Anders Lindback will be unavailable for the Lightning’s contest against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon and they might not have Ben Bishop either. With that in mind, Tampa Bay summoned goaltenders Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis from AHL Syracuse.
Even as far as AHL call ups go, neither is a particularly appealing option. Gudlevskis, 21, has only participated in 21 AHL contests and has a 2.78 GAA and .898 save percentage with Syracuse. He was taken in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so the fact that he’s already in the NHL underscores just how bad the Lightning’s situation is.
Desjardins hasn’t done much better in Syracuse this season. On top of that, the 28-year-old has only appeared in five career NHL contests.
The Lightning have lost two straight games and a regulation defeat against Montreal today would put the Canadiens just two points away from Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22