Feb 1, 2014, 9:54 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning had a rare night on Thursday as both of their netminders were hurt in their 5-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
Anders Lindback will be unavailable for the Lightning’s contest against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon and they might not have Ben Bishop either. With that in mind, Tampa Bay summoned goaltenders Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis from AHL Syracuse.
Even as far as AHL call ups go, neither is a particularly appealing option. Gudlevskis, 21, has only participated in 21 AHL contests and has a 2.78 GAA and .898 save percentage with Syracuse. He was taken in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so the fact that he’s already in the NHL underscores just how bad the Lightning’s situation is.
Desjardins hasn’t done much better in Syracuse this season. On top of that, the 28-year-old has only appeared in five career NHL contests.
The Lightning have lost two straight games and a regulation defeat against Montreal today would put the Canadiens just two points away from Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 12
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 5
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 29
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11