Feb 1, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had a rare night on Thursday as both of their netminders were hurt in their 5-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
Anders Lindback will be unavailable for the Lightning’s contest against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon and they might not have Ben Bishop either. With that in mind, Tampa Bay summoned goaltenders Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis from AHL Syracuse.
Even as far as AHL call ups go, neither is a particularly appealing option. Gudlevskis, 21, has only participated in 21 AHL contests and has a 2.78 GAA and .898 save percentage with Syracuse. He was taken in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so the fact that he’s already in the NHL underscores just how bad the Lightning’s situation is.
Desjardins hasn’t done much better in Syracuse this season. On top of that, the 28-year-old has only appeared in five career NHL contests.
The Lightning have lost two straight games and a regulation defeat against Montreal today would put the Canadiens just two points away from Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 30
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)