Feb 1, 2014, 9:54 AM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had a rare night on Thursday as both of their netminders were hurt in their 5-3 loss to the Ottawa Senators.
Anders Lindback will be unavailable for the Lightning’s contest against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon and they might not have Ben Bishop either. With that in mind, Tampa Bay summoned goaltenders Cedrick Desjardins and Kristers Gudlevskis from AHL Syracuse.
Even as far as AHL call ups go, neither is a particularly appealing option. Gudlevskis, 21, has only participated in 21 AHL contests and has a 2.78 GAA and .898 save percentage with Syracuse. He was taken in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, so the fact that he’s already in the NHL underscores just how bad the Lightning’s situation is.
Desjardins hasn’t done much better in Syracuse this season. On top of that, the 28-year-old has only appeared in five career NHL contests.
The Lightning have lost two straight games and a regulation defeat against Montreal today would put the Canadiens just two points away from Tampa Bay in the battle for second place in the Atlantic Division.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54