Feb 1, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have their work cut out for them against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon. Goaltenders Anders Lindback and Ben Bishop are both sidelined, which has forced Tampa Bay to summon two netminders from the AHL with a combined five games worth of NHL experience.
Now it looks like the Lightning will also be without forward Valtteri Filppula, according to Tampa Tribune writer Erik Erlendsson. He sustained a lower-body injury during Thursday’s contest against Ottawa and is day-to-day.
Filppula has been one of the Lightning’s best forwards this season with 19 goals and 40 points in 54 games. His absence will put even more pressure on Martin St. Louis, who has been one of the main reasons Tampa Bay hasn’t collapsed since they lost Steven Stamkos.
As tough as it will be for them, this remains a critical game for Tampa Bay. The Lightning currently rank second in the Atlantic Division, but Montreal is just four points behind them. The match will start at 1:00 p.m. ET.
Update: The Lightning caught a bit of a break as Bishop is healthy enough to start after all.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)