Feb 1, 2014, 12:11 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have their work cut out for them against the Montreal Canadiens this afternoon. Goaltenders Anders Lindback and Ben Bishop are both sidelined, which has forced Tampa Bay to summon two netminders from the AHL with a combined five games worth of NHL experience.
Now it looks like the Lightning will also be without forward Valtteri Filppula, according to Tampa Tribune writer Erik Erlendsson. He sustained a lower-body injury during Thursday’s contest against Ottawa and is day-to-day.
Filppula has been one of the Lightning’s best forwards this season with 19 goals and 40 points in 54 games. His absence will put even more pressure on Martin St. Louis, who has been one of the main reasons Tampa Bay hasn’t collapsed since they lost Steven Stamkos.
As tough as it will be for them, this remains a critical game for Tampa Bay. The Lightning currently rank second in the Atlantic Division, but Montreal is just four points behind them. The match will start at 1:00 p.m. ET.
Update: The Lightning caught a bit of a break as Bishop is healthy enough to start after all.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11