Jan 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
The Red Wings play the first of a two-game home-and-home against Washington tonight, and will do so with some major reinforcements in the lineup.
Captain Henrik Zetterberg, who has missed the last two games with an upper-body injury, will draw back in at center while goalie Jimmy Howard, who has missed the last four games with a knee injury, will get the start in goal.
Detroit will also bring Jakub Kindl back into the mix. The Czech rearguard hasn’t played since Jan. 20 with a hip injury.
These next two games are huge for Detroit, as it heads into Friday’s action 1) looking to make amends for Tuesday’s embarrassing 5-0 defeat in Philly, and 2) gunning to move up the standings in the Eastern Conference. The Wings are currently on 57 points, one back of Ottawa for the final wild card spot.
The Caps, meanwhile, are on 56 points and two back of the Sens.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)