Jan 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
The Red Wings play the first of a two-game home-and-home against Washington tonight, and will do so with some major reinforcements in the lineup.
Captain Henrik Zetterberg, who has missed the last two games with an upper-body injury, will draw back in at center while goalie Jimmy Howard, who has missed the last four games with a knee injury, will get the start in goal.
Detroit will also bring Jakub Kindl back into the mix. The Czech rearguard hasn’t played since Jan. 20 with a hip injury.
These next two games are huge for Detroit, as it heads into Friday’s action 1) looking to make amends for Tuesday’s embarrassing 5-0 defeat in Philly, and 2) gunning to move up the standings in the Eastern Conference. The Wings are currently on 57 points, one back of Ottawa for the final wild card spot.
The Caps, meanwhile, are on 56 points and two back of the Sens.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)