Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
The Calgary organization is beefing up.
On Friday, Calgary’s AHL affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — announced it had signed notorious tough guy Trevor Gillies. Gillies, 35, has appeared in 57 career NHL contests with the Ducks and Islanders, scoring three points while racking up 261 penalty minutes.
And no, that last part isn’t a typo.
Gillies has spent the last few seasons playing in Russia, Finland and, most recently, with ECHL Orlando.
As for the Flames, they already have a pair of heavyweights on their active roster — Kevin Westgarth (who GM Brian Burke acquired via trade) and Brian McGrattan — and were engaged in some fisticuffs two weeks ago during their now-infamous line brawl against Vancouver.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)