Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
The Calgary organization is beefing up.
On Friday, Calgary’s AHL affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — announced it had signed notorious tough guy Trevor Gillies. Gillies, 35, has appeared in 57 career NHL contests with the Ducks and Islanders, scoring three points while racking up 261 penalty minutes.
And no, that last part isn’t a typo.
Gillies has spent the last few seasons playing in Russia, Finland and, most recently, with ECHL Orlando.
As for the Flames, they already have a pair of heavyweights on their active roster — Kevin Westgarth (who GM Brian Burke acquired via trade) and Brian McGrattan — and were engaged in some fisticuffs two weeks ago during their now-infamous line brawl against Vancouver.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 5
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 103
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 49
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 17
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63