Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
The Calgary organization is beefing up.
On Friday, Calgary’s AHL affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — announced it had signed notorious tough guy Trevor Gillies. Gillies, 35, has appeared in 57 career NHL contests with the Ducks and Islanders, scoring three points while racking up 261 penalty minutes.
And no, that last part isn’t a typo.
Gillies has spent the last few seasons playing in Russia, Finland and, most recently, with ECHL Orlando.
As for the Flames, they already have a pair of heavyweights on their active roster — Kevin Westgarth (who GM Brian Burke acquired via trade) and Brian McGrattan — and were engaged in some fisticuffs two weeks ago during their now-infamous line brawl against Vancouver.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (95)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)