Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
The Calgary organization is beefing up.
On Friday, Calgary’s AHL affiliate — the Abbotsford Heat — announced it had signed notorious tough guy Trevor Gillies. Gillies, 35, has appeared in 57 career NHL contests with the Ducks and Islanders, scoring three points while racking up 261 penalty minutes.
And no, that last part isn’t a typo.
Gillies has spent the last few seasons playing in Russia, Finland and, most recently, with ECHL Orlando.
As for the Flames, they already have a pair of heavyweights on their active roster — Kevin Westgarth (who GM Brian Burke acquired via trade) and Brian McGrattan — and were engaged in some fisticuffs two weeks ago during their now-infamous line brawl against Vancouver.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 0
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 2
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)