Jan 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
For the Los Angeles Kings, it’s been Anze Kopitar or bust lately.
Following Thursday’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh, the Kings found themselves mired in a crazy slump — outside of Kopitar, who has three goals in his last five games, not a single player has scored in 303:10.
Yeah. Over 300 minutes of hockey. Here’s what the Kings have done lately:
As you can see, goals are at a premium — especially ones scored by someone other than Kopitar. Captain Dustin Brown hasn’t scored in nine games, Mike Richards hasn’t scored in seven and Justin Williams hasn’t scored in 11.
Some might be concerned about this trend, but Darryl Sutter isn’t one of them. He doesn’t view the recent scoring woes as an indication of anything because, as far as he’s concerned, previous performances have nothing to do with current or future ones.
I only base it on tonight. We scored one tonight. You can’t beat Pittsburgh scoring one goal. It’s not just about scoring goals in this game.
[Reporter: But during the stretch, what are your thoughts on how you’re doing as far as getting the chances?]
[Reporter: The last five games.]
We won in San Jose. It was a tough, tough game, We won that game. And then we didn’t score at Phoenix, so we lost. And tonight we only scored one. So I don’t look at what the last five games had anything to do with tonight.
Of course, the Kings’ scoring issues aren’t just a byproduct of the last few games — it’s been a season-long problem. L.A. currently sits 29th in the NHL in goals per game (2.29) and the only team scoring less is Buffalo, the NHL’s last-place team.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25