Slump alert: Kopitar only King to score in last 300 minutes

Jan 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT

For the Los Angeles Kings, it’s been Anze Kopitar or bust lately.

Following Thursday’s 4-1 loss to Pittsburgh, the Kings found themselves mired in a crazy slump — outside of Kopitar, who has three goals in his last five games, not a single player has scored in 303:10.

Yeah. Over 300 minutes of hockey. Here’s what the Kings have done lately:

source:

As you can see, goals are at a premium — especially ones scored by someone other than Kopitar. Captain Dustin Brown hasn’t scored in nine games,  Mike Richards hasn’t scored in seven and Justin Williams hasn’t scored in 11.

Some might be concerned about this trend, but Darryl Sutter isn’t one of them. He doesn’t view the recent scoring woes as an indication of anything because, as far as he’s concerned, previous performances have nothing to do with current or future ones.

From LA Kings Insider:

I only base it on tonight. We scored one tonight. You can’t beat Pittsburgh scoring one goal. It’s not just about scoring goals in this game.

[Reporter: But during the stretch, what are your thoughts on how you’re doing as far as getting the chances?]

What stretch?

[Reporter: The last five games.]

We won in San Jose. It was a tough, tough game, We won that game. And then we didn’t score at Phoenix, so we lost. And tonight we only scored one. So I don’t look at what the last five games had anything to do with tonight.

Of course, the Kings’ scoring issues aren’t just a byproduct of the last few games — it’s been a season-long problem. L.A. currently sits 29th in the NHL in goals per game (2.29) and the only team scoring less is Buffalo, the NHL’s last-place team.

1. patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I’m going with what Sutter said. I don’t understand it; but, I don’t understand the goal slump either. In this case, whatever Sutter said explains it all.

• thailer35 - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:01 PM

How can you ever even follow anything that guy says? He is obviously an accomplished and successful coach but I don’t know any of his players ever even understand what he’s telling him to do. This guy is harder to understand than Boomhauer.

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:08 PM

I once nicknamed Sutter ‘Yoda.’ It’s obvious that talking to the press isn’t on Sutter’s list of favorite things to do. I’m pretty sure he’s more erudite when talking with the players. They seem to be able to follow his game plan without confusion.

Now – if they could just start SCORING SOME DAMN GOALS!!!

• 2qswing - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:24 PM

thailer

triple LOL . do they run sub-titles during his pressers?

• blomfeld - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:41 PM

LESS IS MORE

Listen Trailer, over 90% of human communication is ‘non’ verbal and therefore an argument could be made that Darryl Sutter is the NHL’s equivalent of Bill Shakespeare. These ‘smarmy’ smooth-talking ‘know it alls’ like AV or Adam Oates actually know nothing and at the end of the day they convey positively ‘little if anything’ to their players or the people. I love Coach Sutter and I have every confidence that he’ll be guiding our team back to the ‘high’ ground this coming spring !

GO KINGS GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. charlieconway96 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Its ironic that Richards, who I believe has one goal in his last 30 games, was the one to break Giroux out of his slump earlier this year via bright side texts.

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Yes, I remember that. Maybe Giroux can return the favor.

• charlieconway96 - Jan 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM

I would be more than happy with that.

3. wtfkwp - Jan 31, 2014 at 1:27 PM

ORLY? Gee, I didn’t notice while I was WATCHING those games. Thanks!

4. sjsharks66 - Jan 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I feel the Kings pain at the moment. Only Sharks goal in 3 games comes from Hayes? Unacceptable but at the same time, congrats to the rookies first NHL goal.

Other then that it seems like both teams in California that are not named the Ducks have been bitten by the anti-goal bug. Both LA and San Jose will break out of this slump soon enough.

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Wow, sharks! A San Jose fan posting on an LA Kings’ story? Didn’t someone just nail you for that?

I am kidding, of course. I like reading your comments (even the funny ‘DB is a DB’).

LA’s been goal-starved pretty much all season. And I don’t know why.

Sutter explained it best – whatever it was he said.

• charlieconway96 - Jan 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Good point Pat, I’m even more surprised that the Sharks fan’s comment made no mention of the deep seeded desire to maim and destroy “the dirty DB, Dustin Brown”.

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:03 PM

The DB remark is a joke between sjsharks66 and me from yesterday’s posts. Shark’s comment here is neutral. Too bad you had to come out swinging, charlie.

• jhaegs - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I thought I started the DB is a DB thing… Oh well.

P.S. DB is a DB 😉

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I’m not thumbing up (nor down) your comment, jhaegs. But, thanks for the laugh.

• blomfeld - Jan 31, 2014 at 10:57 PM

NO… I’M NOT SURPRISED …

Please know friends that Sjsharks66 is ‘good’ people and therefore his remarks indicating ‘compassion and solidarity’ for us are not completely unexpected. In fact, he and other ‘quality’ Shark fans will attest that all along I’ve been proclaiming California as being the epicenter of ‘supreme’ NHL power today. And I maintain that view today, notwithstanding the recent difficulties which our respective ‘glorious’ teams have faced. Nonetheless, victory is nothing more that defeat turned ‘inside out’ and so look for us Kings and Sharks to soon start a ‘massive & devastating’ counter-attack … one which will send even our most determined antagonists running for cover !

• flash8910 - Jan 31, 2014 at 3:31 PM

As a Ducks fan, I feel for you guys. I mean we totally sucked Tuesday night. We could only muster 2 goals against the Wild. Good thing, things were back to normal Thursday night. We were able to put 5 on the board.

5. opattytheirishrover - Jan 31, 2014 at 3:34 PM

My good friends, now is as good of time as any to break the ice here.

While I do not share the affiliation Pat and “comrade” Blomfeld have for my northern neighbors, nor is there any love for SJsharks team, I must admit that I am cheering for your teams to turn it around and make the great state of California once again the envy of all the colonies.

So much good hockey happens on the west coast here, it’s easy to be discouraged when a team hits the slump. It is inevitable, all teams will go through this. Just keep your heads up my friends!!

Peace be with you.

• patthehockeyfan - Jan 31, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Nice post.

I’m not nor have I ever been discouraged. Confused about the lack of goal scoring? Yes. But, this, too, shall pass.

Keep the faith.

• blomfeld - Jan 31, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Dearest ‘Patty’ the Irish Rover …

friend, three things which immediately jump out here:

1) you are ‘not’ a communist

2) you are ‘good’ people, pursuing life with ‘good’ values

3) you are a comrade yourself, given your allegiance to ‘west coast’ NHL supremacy

the bottom line friend is that ‘all will be well’ by the end of March … we Kings, along with the Sharks and Ducks will be ‘up there’ on the high ground come April, very much ‘ready & able’ to deal with whatever next stands before us ! … it’s gonna be a blast man !!! :)

6. jhaegs - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Teams have the Kings figured out. Unless they get some snipers and speed, they won’t be able to keep teams honest on defense.

• blomfeld - Jan 31, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Trust me Jhaegs, we Kings have a ‘few’ snipers within our ranks alright ! :)

7. stakex - Jan 31, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Wow, that’s a pretty shocking stat. The Kings aren’t that bad of a team though, and I would think this is more of a freaky aberration than anything else..

8. csilojohnson - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:18 PM

That freaky aberration is named Jussi.

9. itswhereyourmindsat - Jan 31, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Fire Sutter

10. slysipops - Jan 31, 2014 at 9:27 PM

SUTTER talking to the media ? …………………….

11. blomfeld - Feb 1, 2014 at 12:23 AM

GET LOST OPRAH !

As an ardent, sexy and ‘values-driven’ fan of the reigning Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings, I comrade Blomfeld implore all fellow Kings fans out there to ‘stand fast’ and hold the line ! Look, anyone knows that over the course of a ‘full’ 82 x game schedule, adversity as such is bound to happen. In fact, it’s no different than expecting someone to ‘not’ fart over the course of a 2 x week Alaska cruise ! This entire idea that we Kings are finished is ‘preposterous’ and anyone who subscribes to such idiocy is either an imbecile or a fan of the Black Hawks (ie: you know, that team who claims to be champions based on only half a season). The bottom line friends is that ‘struggle’ and the ability to triumph over such struggle is the hallmark sign of a ‘true’ champion. And we Kings have done that in spades, thus earning us the right to call ourselves ‘true champions’ in no uncertain terms (ie: based on our ‘supreme’ victory during the last time Bettman held an 82 x game schedule). So hold your position friends and ‘make ready’ to charge !!! :)

• slysipops - Feb 1, 2014 at 6:12 PM

come come now bloms, you’ve got to quit riding that 82 game horse. if memory doesn’t fail me they all play the same amount of games ! as for OPRAH , she could have just bought the place ( with her resources ) and then fired the woman over the black bag incident! anyhow whether it be an 82 game schedule or a black purse…. the bottom line is action speaks louder than words ! stay thirsty my friend…..THE SLY

Top 10 NHL Player Searches