Jan 31, 2014, 9:57 PM EST
Whether the air’s been unpredictable or climate controlled, the New York Rangers had the edge on the New York Islanders this week.
After slipping by them 2-1 in a Stadium Series game on Wednesday, the Rangers pulled away in the third period to top the Isles 4-1 on Friday. The Rangers now have three straight wins while the Islanders have lost five in a row.
Henrik Lundqvist has played a big part in his team’s wins against the Isles this week. He stopped 38 out of 39 shots tonight after making 30 out of 31 saves on Wednesday. Rick Nash has been pretty dominant in his own right with 12 shots on goal in the past two contests, yet he hasn’t gotten on the board.
The John Tavares line can relate, as they generated another 10+ SOG night but didn’t really get the results they wanted; they failed to score on Wednesday and only Kyle Okposo found the net on Friday.
The Islanders need all the points they can get, so losing these past two games – and thus, their season series against the Rangers – could hurt in the long and short run.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)