Jan 31, 2014, 10:32 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin stole a point for the Washington Capitals with a game-tying goal with seven seconds left in the third period, but Jimmy Howard and the Detroit Red Wings eked out a 5-4 shootout win on Friday.
Both goalies figured into the proceedings. Howard made some big third-period saves before Ovechkin’s timely tally while Michal Neuvirth kept the Caps in the game, making 42 out of 45 saves and stopping six of seven shootout attempts. Unfortunately for him, Howard was perfect in the “skills competition” to win in his return to action.
Here’s the big save:
Then Nyquist gets some revenge:
Assuming this doesn’t get changed to a Joel Ward tip-in, Ovechkin collected his 39th of the season when his team needed it the most:
Both teams would likely prefer to find themselves in these situations less often; the Red Wings are now 4-8 in shootouts while the Capitals fell to 8-7 in that format.
Overall, there are pros and cons for both squads following an exciting game.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)