Jan 31, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin stole a point for the Washington Capitals with a game-tying goal with seven seconds left in the third period, but Jimmy Howard and the Detroit Red Wings eked out a 5-4 shootout win on Friday.
Both goalies figured into the proceedings. Howard made some big third-period saves before Ovechkin’s timely tally while Michal Neuvirth kept the Caps in the game, making 42 out of 45 saves and stopping six of seven shootout attempts. Unfortunately for him, Howard was perfect in the “skills competition” to win in his return to action.
Here’s the big save:
Then Nyquist gets some revenge:
Assuming this doesn’t get changed to a Joel Ward tip-in, Ovechkin collected his 39th of the season when his team needed it the most:
Both teams would likely prefer to find themselves in these situations less often; the Red Wings are now 4-8 in shootouts while the Capitals fell to 8-7 in that format.
Overall, there are pros and cons for both squads following an exciting game.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)