Jan 31, 2014, 10:32 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin stole a point for the Washington Capitals with a game-tying goal with seven seconds left in the third period, but Jimmy Howard and the Detroit Red Wings eked out a 5-4 shootout win on Friday.
Both goalies figured into the proceedings. Howard made some big third-period saves before Ovechkin’s timely tally while Michal Neuvirth kept the Caps in the game, making 42 out of 45 saves and stopping six of seven shootout attempts. Unfortunately for him, Howard was perfect in the “skills competition” to win in his return to action.
Here’s the big save:
Then Nyquist gets some revenge:
Assuming this doesn’t get changed to a Joel Ward tip-in, Ovechkin collected his 39th of the season when his team needed it the most:
Both teams would likely prefer to find themselves in these situations less often; the Red Wings are now 4-8 in shootouts while the Capitals fell to 8-7 in that format.
Overall, there are pros and cons for both squads following an exciting game.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)