Jan 31, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
It was far from clear that Shea Weber would even be able to play on Friday. He didn’t just play against the New Jersey Devils … he dominated.
The elite defenseman scored two goals (including the game-winner) to power the Nashville Predators’ 3-2 OT win against New Jersey.
It wasn’t just that he added offense; he was his usual do-everything self tonight, firing four shots on goal, delivering two hits and blocking four shots in 25:57 of ice time.
For some of the game, it seemed like Jaromir Jagr‘s ageless play would grab the headlines. Jagr hit the 48-point mark with a goal and an assist, but David Legwand spoiled his attempt to add to his NHL-record game-winning goals total by tying it up with 11 seconds left in the third.
That goal opened the door for Weber to score his 15th goal of the season, topping all NHL blueliners as of this writing.
Weber, 28, might get lost in the shuffle a bit with Nashville hovering around .500, but it would be foolish to leave him out of the Norris Trophy discussion. If he keeps this up, he’ll be impossible to ignore.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)