Jan 31, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
It was far from clear that Shea Weber would even be able to play on Friday. He didn’t just play against the New Jersey Devils … he dominated.
The elite defenseman scored two goals (including the game-winner) to power the Nashville Predators’ 3-2 OT win against New Jersey.
It wasn’t just that he added offense; he was his usual do-everything self tonight, firing four shots on goal, delivering two hits and blocking four shots in 25:57 of ice time.
For some of the game, it seemed like Jaromir Jagr‘s ageless play would grab the headlines. Jagr hit the 48-point mark with a goal and an assist, but David Legwand spoiled his attempt to add to his NHL-record game-winning goals total by tying it up with 11 seconds left in the third.
That goal opened the door for Weber to score his 15th goal of the season, topping all NHL blueliners as of this writing.
Weber, 28, might get lost in the shuffle a bit with Nashville hovering around .500, but it would be foolish to leave him out of the Norris Trophy discussion. If he keeps this up, he’ll be impossible to ignore.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 17
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 78
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 35
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 60
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7