Jan 31, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
It was far from clear that Shea Weber would even be able to play on Friday. He didn’t just play against the New Jersey Devils … he dominated.
The elite defenseman scored two goals (including the game-winner) to power the Nashville Predators’ 3-2 OT win against New Jersey.
It wasn’t just that he added offense; he was his usual do-everything self tonight, firing four shots on goal, delivering two hits and blocking four shots in 25:57 of ice time.
For some of the game, it seemed like Jaromir Jagr‘s ageless play would grab the headlines. Jagr hit the 48-point mark with a goal and an assist, but David Legwand spoiled his attempt to add to his NHL-record game-winning goals total by tying it up with 11 seconds left in the third.
That goal opened the door for Weber to score his 15th goal of the season, topping all NHL blueliners as of this writing.
Weber, 28, might get lost in the shuffle a bit with Nashville hovering around .500, but it would be foolish to leave him out of the Norris Trophy discussion. If he keeps this up, he’ll be impossible to ignore.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)