Jan 31, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
It was far from clear that Shea Weber would even be able to play on Friday. He didn’t just play against the New Jersey Devils … he dominated.
The elite defenseman scored two goals (including the game-winner) to power the Nashville Predators’ 3-2 OT win against New Jersey.
It wasn’t just that he added offense; he was his usual do-everything self tonight, firing four shots on goal, delivering two hits and blocking four shots in 25:57 of ice time.
For some of the game, it seemed like Jaromir Jagr‘s ageless play would grab the headlines. Jagr hit the 48-point mark with a goal and an assist, but David Legwand spoiled his attempt to add to his NHL-record game-winning goals total by tying it up with 11 seconds left in the third.
That goal opened the door for Weber to score his 15th goal of the season, topping all NHL blueliners as of this writing.
Weber, 28, might get lost in the shuffle a bit with Nashville hovering around .500, but it would be foolish to leave him out of the Norris Trophy discussion. If he keeps this up, he’ll be impossible to ignore.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)