Jan 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
When Patrick Roy agreed to join the Colorado Avalanche as the team’s head coach, one of the big questions was if he could help turn Semyon Varlamov‘s career around. In that regard, Varlamov’s five-year, $29.5 million extension was as much of a victory for the bench boss as it was for the 25-year-old netminder.
The Avalanche had already made a big commitment to him by sacrificing a first-round pick (later used to select Filip Forsberg) and second rounder (Mike Winther) to the Washington Capitals in order to obtain him. However, Varlamov’s future with the team was in doubt after his rough 2013 campaign.
“I don’t think I played that well the first two years (with the Avs),” Varlamov acknowledged to the Denver Post Thursday night. He later added, “Thank God the right people (joined) the team during the summer.”
After getting the gig, Roy didn’t waste much time before hiring Francois Allaire to serve as the team’s goalie coach. Allaire can count mentoring Roy as one of his accomplishments and the duo have helped Varlamov change his game.
This has been a tremendous rookie campaign for Roy overall. He took the Western Conference’s worst team in 2013 and navigated them to a 34-14-5 record.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)