Jan 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
When Patrick Roy agreed to join the Colorado Avalanche as the team’s head coach, one of the big questions was if he could help turn Semyon Varlamov‘s career around. In that regard, Varlamov’s five-year, $29.5 million extension was as much of a victory for the bench boss as it was for the 25-year-old netminder.
The Avalanche had already made a big commitment to him by sacrificing a first-round pick (later used to select Filip Forsberg) and second rounder (Mike Winther) to the Washington Capitals in order to obtain him. However, Varlamov’s future with the team was in doubt after his rough 2013 campaign.
“I don’t think I played that well the first two years (with the Avs),” Varlamov acknowledged to the Denver Post Thursday night. He later added, “Thank God the right people (joined) the team during the summer.”
After getting the gig, Roy didn’t waste much time before hiring Francois Allaire to serve as the team’s goalie coach. Allaire can count mentoring Roy as one of his accomplishments and the duo have helped Varlamov change his game.
This has been a tremendous rookie campaign for Roy overall. He took the Western Conference’s worst team in 2013 and navigated them to a 34-14-5 record.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)