Jan 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
When Patrick Roy agreed to join the Colorado Avalanche as the team’s head coach, one of the big questions was if he could help turn Semyon Varlamov‘s career around. In that regard, Varlamov’s five-year, $29.5 million extension was as much of a victory for the bench boss as it was for the 25-year-old netminder.
The Avalanche had already made a big commitment to him by sacrificing a first-round pick (later used to select Filip Forsberg) and second rounder (Mike Winther) to the Washington Capitals in order to obtain him. However, Varlamov’s future with the team was in doubt after his rough 2013 campaign.
“I don’t think I played that well the first two years (with the Avs),” Varlamov acknowledged to the Denver Post Thursday night. He later added, “Thank God the right people (joined) the team during the summer.”
After getting the gig, Roy didn’t waste much time before hiring Francois Allaire to serve as the team’s goalie coach. Allaire can count mentoring Roy as one of his accomplishments and the duo have helped Varlamov change his game.
This has been a tremendous rookie campaign for Roy overall. He took the Western Conference’s worst team in 2013 and navigated them to a 34-14-5 record.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)