Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins likes to tell his players that it takes a whole team to win a hockey game. As far as he’s concerned, their 3-0 victory against San Jose on Wednesday was in defiance of that.
Eakins couldn’t help but take some time to admire what Scrivens was doing. The problem is that he wasn’t the only one.
“That’s how I thought our skaters were playing the game — they were watching Ben,” Eakins told the Edmonton Journal. “I’m so happy and proud of him, and then you’re mad at the same time.
“(It was an) incredible thing to watch. I’ve never seen it before and, boy, hopefully I don’t have to see that again.”
Eakins felt the Sharks overwhelmed them, as the shot total obviously suggests. He added that the Oilers were playing a cautious game and they can’t expect to get away with that under normal circumstances.
The Oilers have won three straight games, but at this point it’s really about laying the groundwork for the future. They have a 18-32-6 record and next to no chance of making the playoffs.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)