Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins likes to tell his players that it takes a whole team to win a hockey game. As far as he’s concerned, their 3-0 victory against San Jose on Wednesday was in defiance of that.
Eakins couldn’t help but take some time to admire what Scrivens was doing. The problem is that he wasn’t the only one.
“That’s how I thought our skaters were playing the game — they were watching Ben,” Eakins told the Edmonton Journal. “I’m so happy and proud of him, and then you’re mad at the same time.
“(It was an) incredible thing to watch. I’ve never seen it before and, boy, hopefully I don’t have to see that again.”
Eakins felt the Sharks overwhelmed them, as the shot total obviously suggests. He added that the Oilers were playing a cautious game and they can’t expect to get away with that under normal circumstances.
The Oilers have won three straight games, but at this point it’s really about laying the groundwork for the future. They have a 18-32-6 record and next to no chance of making the playoffs.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)