Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins likes to tell his players that it takes a whole team to win a hockey game. As far as he’s concerned, their 3-0 victory against San Jose on Wednesday was in defiance of that.
Eakins couldn’t help but take some time to admire what Scrivens was doing. The problem is that he wasn’t the only one.
“That’s how I thought our skaters were playing the game — they were watching Ben,” Eakins told the Edmonton Journal. “I’m so happy and proud of him, and then you’re mad at the same time.
“(It was an) incredible thing to watch. I’ve never seen it before and, boy, hopefully I don’t have to see that again.”
Eakins felt the Sharks overwhelmed them, as the shot total obviously suggests. He added that the Oilers were playing a cautious game and they can’t expect to get away with that under normal circumstances.
The Oilers have won three straight games, but at this point it’s really about laying the groundwork for the future. They have a 18-32-6 record and next to no chance of making the playoffs.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 5
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)