Jan 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins likes to tell his players that it takes a whole team to win a hockey game. As far as he’s concerned, their 3-0 victory against San Jose on Wednesday was in defiance of that.
Eakins couldn’t help but take some time to admire what Scrivens was doing. The problem is that he wasn’t the only one.
“That’s how I thought our skaters were playing the game — they were watching Ben,” Eakins told the Edmonton Journal. “I’m so happy and proud of him, and then you’re mad at the same time.
“(It was an) incredible thing to watch. I’ve never seen it before and, boy, hopefully I don’t have to see that again.”
Eakins felt the Sharks overwhelmed them, as the shot total obviously suggests. He added that the Oilers were playing a cautious game and they can’t expect to get away with that under normal circumstances.
The Oilers have won three straight games, but at this point it’s really about laying the groundwork for the future. They have a 18-32-6 record and next to no chance of making the playoffs.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)