Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
There are all sorts of rumors buzzing around about the New York Rangers trading captain and pending free agent Ryan Callahan, but he’s playing against the New York Islanders on Friday.
PHT already discussed the Rangers’ interest in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart, which would constitute at least one potential trade partner. Frequent Rangers trade partner the Columbus Blue Jackets are also sniffing around about Callahan, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Backing up an earlier report from TSN’s Darren Dreger that indicated the Rangers granted permission for one team to speak with Callahan’s agent, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that multiple teams have now been given the opportunity.
As with many trades both big and small, a lot can change, and some of this could very well be tactical. LeBrun reports that the Rangers view dealing Callahan as a “Plan B” and might even be leaking rumors to try to talk him down from his current contract demands.
So, in other words, a lot remains up in the air. If nothing else, he’ll play for the Rangers for one more night.
Unless he’s traded and sent away in a cab mid-game, Montreal-style, that is.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 2
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 5
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 2
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8