Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
There are all sorts of rumors buzzing around about the New York Rangers trading captain and pending free agent Ryan Callahan, but he’s playing against the New York Islanders on Friday.
PHT already discussed the Rangers’ interest in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart, which would constitute at least one potential trade partner. Frequent Rangers trade partner the Columbus Blue Jackets are also sniffing around about Callahan, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Backing up an earlier report from TSN’s Darren Dreger that indicated the Rangers granted permission for one team to speak with Callahan’s agent, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that multiple teams have now been given the opportunity.
As with many trades both big and small, a lot can change, and some of this could very well be tactical. LeBrun reports that the Rangers view dealing Callahan as a “Plan B” and might even be leaking rumors to try to talk him down from his current contract demands.
So, in other words, a lot remains up in the air. If nothing else, he’ll play for the Rangers for one more night.
Unless he’s traded and sent away in a cab mid-game, Montreal-style, that is.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)