Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
There are all sorts of rumors buzzing around about the New York Rangers trading captain and pending free agent Ryan Callahan, but he’s playing against the New York Islanders on Friday.
PHT already discussed the Rangers’ interest in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart, which would constitute at least one potential trade partner. Frequent Rangers trade partner the Columbus Blue Jackets are also sniffing around about Callahan, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Backing up an earlier report from TSN’s Darren Dreger that indicated the Rangers granted permission for one team to speak with Callahan’s agent, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that multiple teams have now been given the opportunity.
As with many trades both big and small, a lot can change, and some of this could very well be tactical. LeBrun reports that the Rangers view dealing Callahan as a “Plan B” and might even be leaking rumors to try to talk him down from his current contract demands.
So, in other words, a lot remains up in the air. If nothing else, he’ll play for the Rangers for one more night.
Unless he’s traded and sent away in a cab mid-game, Montreal-style, that is.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 16
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 16
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39