Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
There are all sorts of rumors buzzing around about the New York Rangers trading captain and pending free agent Ryan Callahan, but he’s playing against the New York Islanders on Friday.
PHT already discussed the Rangers’ interest in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart, which would constitute at least one potential trade partner. Frequent Rangers trade partner the Columbus Blue Jackets are also sniffing around about Callahan, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Backing up an earlier report from TSN’s Darren Dreger that indicated the Rangers granted permission for one team to speak with Callahan’s agent, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that multiple teams have now been given the opportunity.
As with many trades both big and small, a lot can change, and some of this could very well be tactical. LeBrun reports that the Rangers view dealing Callahan as a “Plan B” and might even be leaking rumors to try to talk him down from his current contract demands.
So, in other words, a lot remains up in the air. If nothing else, he’ll play for the Rangers for one more night.
Unless he’s traded and sent away in a cab mid-game, Montreal-style, that is.
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 4
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 30
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 107
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7