Jan 31, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
There are all sorts of rumors buzzing around about the New York Rangers trading captain and pending free agent Ryan Callahan, but he’s playing against the New York Islanders on Friday.
PHT already discussed the Rangers’ interest in St. Louis Blues winger Chris Stewart, which would constitute at least one potential trade partner. Frequent Rangers trade partner the Columbus Blue Jackets are also sniffing around about Callahan, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
Backing up an earlier report from TSN’s Darren Dreger that indicated the Rangers granted permission for one team to speak with Callahan’s agent, Sportsnet’s John Shannon reports that multiple teams have now been given the opportunity.
As with many trades both big and small, a lot can change, and some of this could very well be tactical. LeBrun reports that the Rangers view dealing Callahan as a “Plan B” and might even be leaking rumors to try to talk him down from his current contract demands.
So, in other words, a lot remains up in the air. If nothing else, he’ll play for the Rangers for one more night.
Unless he’s traded and sent away in a cab mid-game, Montreal-style, that is.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)