Jan 31, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Despite all the distractions, Ryan Callahan played well for the New York Rangers in their 4-1 win against the New York Islanders on Friday. After the win, he made it clear that he’s as engaged in his (current?) team as ever.
He doesn’t seem particularly engaged with the latest rumors, either.
“My heart’s here,” Callahan said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross reports that Callahan, 28, said he wasn’t aware that the Rangers granted various teams permission to speak with his agent about a hypothetical contract.
In the meantime, Callahan’s teammates and coach have provided effusive praise. Alain Vigneault called himself a big fan of the Rangers captain and hopes an extension can be reached. Marc Staal and others rave about his leadership.
Still, the Rangers face a challenge to retain that obviously popular player, especially if his reported asking price is accurate.
However Callahan or his teammates feel about the situation, it could be a rollercoaster until the Olympic break (and possibly the real trade deadline after that).
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 2
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 14
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 15
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9