Jan 31, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Despite all the distractions, Ryan Callahan played well for the New York Rangers in their 4-1 win against the New York Islanders on Friday. After the win, he made it clear that he’s as engaged in his (current?) team as ever.
He doesn’t seem particularly engaged with the latest rumors, either.
“My heart’s here,” Callahan said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross reports that Callahan, 28, said he wasn’t aware that the Rangers granted various teams permission to speak with his agent about a hypothetical contract.
In the meantime, Callahan’s teammates and coach have provided effusive praise. Alain Vigneault called himself a big fan of the Rangers captain and hopes an extension can be reached. Marc Staal and others rave about his leadership.
Still, the Rangers face a challenge to retain that obviously popular player, especially if his reported asking price is accurate.
However Callahan or his teammates feel about the situation, it could be a rollercoaster until the Olympic break (and possibly the real trade deadline after that).
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)