Jan 31, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Despite all the distractions, Ryan Callahan played well for the New York Rangers in their 4-1 win against the New York Islanders on Friday. After the win, he made it clear that he’s as engaged in his (current?) team as ever.
He doesn’t seem particularly engaged with the latest rumors, either.
“My heart’s here,” Callahan said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross reports that Callahan, 28, said he wasn’t aware that the Rangers granted various teams permission to speak with his agent about a hypothetical contract.
In the meantime, Callahan’s teammates and coach have provided effusive praise. Alain Vigneault called himself a big fan of the Rangers captain and hopes an extension can be reached. Marc Staal and others rave about his leadership.
Still, the Rangers face a challenge to retain that obviously popular player, especially if his reported asking price is accurate.
However Callahan or his teammates feel about the situation, it could be a rollercoaster until the Olympic break (and possibly the real trade deadline after that).
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)