Jan 31, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT
Despite all the distractions, Ryan Callahan played well for the New York Rangers in their 4-1 win against the New York Islanders on Friday. After the win, he made it clear that he’s as engaged in his (current?) team as ever.
He doesn’t seem particularly engaged with the latest rumors, either.
“My heart’s here,” Callahan said, according to ESPN’s Katie Strang.
The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross reports that Callahan, 28, said he wasn’t aware that the Rangers granted various teams permission to speak with his agent about a hypothetical contract.
In the meantime, Callahan’s teammates and coach have provided effusive praise. Alain Vigneault called himself a big fan of the Rangers captain and hopes an extension can be reached. Marc Staal and others rave about his leadership.
Still, the Rangers face a challenge to retain that obviously popular player, especially if his reported asking price is accurate.
However Callahan or his teammates feel about the situation, it could be a rollercoaster until the Olympic break (and possibly the real trade deadline after that).
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 24
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 46
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 51
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 29
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10