Jan 31, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
The next step is to figure out when he can play again.
Panthers head coach Peter Horachek provided a mixed message, telling the Sun-Sentinel that he’d like to see Barkov get a few skates in, yet not totally closing the door to a return against Columbus on Saturday. It appears that the most likely scenario calls for a Tuesday return.
The 18-year-old acknowledges that he doesn’t feel 100 percent just yet, so maybe that Tuesday target date is more realistic. More will likely be known as tomorrow’s game approaches.
Barkov has been a quick study at the NHL level, collecting 24 points in 50 games. His best flourish came when he scored 10 points in nine games from Dec. 17 – Jan. 6.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)