Jan 30, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
One of this year’s feel-good stories has come to an abrupt end.
Vancouver forward Mike Santorelli has undergone season-ending shoulder surgery, the Canucks announced on Thursday. The procedure comes with a 5-6 month recovery window and wipes out any chance of Santorelli coming back this year.
Formerly of the Nashville Predators and Florida Panthers, Santorelli, 27, had a unsuccessful stint with Winnipeg last season before the Canucks signed him to a two-way deal in July, with the expectation he was bound for the farm team in Utica.
Turns out expectations were a tad low. Not only did Santorelli — a Vancouver native — make the big club, he proceeded to score 10 goals and 28 points in his first 48 games, all while averaging a career-high 18:34 TOI per game.
During a 3-1 win over Colorado in December, fans at Rogers Arena began chanting Santorelli’s name as he factored in on all three goals, scoring twice while setting up a third.
The injury is a tough blow for the Canucks and Santorelli, as he heads into the offseason facing great uncertainty. He’ll be a UFA coming off major shoulder surgery, hopeful that his half-season cameo with Vancouver will be enough to warrant another shot either with the Canucks, or another NHL club.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 3
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 2
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)