Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
In his last five games, Blues forward Alex Steen has three goals and seven points — the kind of production most NHL forwards would love to have.
Steen, though, isn’t satisfied.
“To be honest, I’m expecting more of myself,” Steen said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I think there’s a few notches left to get to where I was. I’m trying (but) I still feel like there’s a couple of more notches in my game.”
Steen, 29, has been nothing short of outstanding this season, scoring 27 goals and 45 points in 41 games. St. Louis rewarded the effort with a three-year, $17.4 million contract extension. The only negative has been his health — he missed 11 games with a concussion — and that injury is the reason why Steen feels he still has more to give.
Because of the concussion and his currently-fractured toe, Steen hasn’t been practicing much (if at all) and won’t have the Olympic break to rest as he’ll be suiting up with Sweden in Sochi. It’s a big reason why he feels he’s not at his pre-concussion form, when he was challenging Alex Ovechkin for the NHL’s goalscoring lead.
“I’m trying to do what I can to stay in it,” Steen explained. “But it’s not my first time with an injury, either, so you learn from experiences previously and just go about your business.
“Try to do your best.”
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)