Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
In his last five games, Blues forward Alex Steen has three goals and seven points — the kind of production most NHL forwards would love to have.
Steen, though, isn’t satisfied.
“To be honest, I’m expecting more of myself,” Steen said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I think there’s a few notches left to get to where I was. I’m trying (but) I still feel like there’s a couple of more notches in my game.”
Steen, 29, has been nothing short of outstanding this season, scoring 27 goals and 45 points in 41 games. St. Louis rewarded the effort with a three-year, $17.4 million contract extension. The only negative has been his health — he missed 11 games with a concussion — and that injury is the reason why Steen feels he still has more to give.
Because of the concussion and his currently-fractured toe, Steen hasn’t been practicing much (if at all) and won’t have the Olympic break to rest as he’ll be suiting up with Sweden in Sochi. It’s a big reason why he feels he’s not at his pre-concussion form, when he was challenging Alex Ovechkin for the NHL’s goalscoring lead.
“I’m trying to do what I can to stay in it,” Steen explained. “But it’s not my first time with an injury, either, so you learn from experiences previously and just go about your business.
“Try to do your best.”
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)