Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EST
In his last five games, Blues forward Alex Steen has three goals and seven points — the kind of production most NHL forwards would love to have.
Steen, though, isn’t satisfied.
“To be honest, I’m expecting more of myself,” Steen said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I think there’s a few notches left to get to where I was. I’m trying (but) I still feel like there’s a couple of more notches in my game.”
Steen, 29, has been nothing short of outstanding this season, scoring 27 goals and 45 points in 41 games. St. Louis rewarded the effort with a three-year, $17.4 million contract extension. The only negative has been his health — he missed 11 games with a concussion — and that injury is the reason why Steen feels he still has more to give.
Because of the concussion and his currently-fractured toe, Steen hasn’t been practicing much (if at all) and won’t have the Olympic break to rest as he’ll be suiting up with Sweden in Sochi. It’s a big reason why he feels he’s not at his pre-concussion form, when he was challenging Alex Ovechkin for the NHL’s goalscoring lead.
“I’m trying to do what I can to stay in it,” Steen explained. “But it’s not my first time with an injury, either, so you learn from experiences previously and just go about your business.
“Try to do your best.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)