Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EDT
In his last five games, Blues forward Alex Steen has three goals and seven points — the kind of production most NHL forwards would love to have.
Steen, though, isn’t satisfied.
“To be honest, I’m expecting more of myself,” Steen said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I think there’s a few notches left to get to where I was. I’m trying (but) I still feel like there’s a couple of more notches in my game.”
Steen, 29, has been nothing short of outstanding this season, scoring 27 goals and 45 points in 41 games. St. Louis rewarded the effort with a three-year, $17.4 million contract extension. The only negative has been his health — he missed 11 games with a concussion — and that injury is the reason why Steen feels he still has more to give.
Because of the concussion and his currently-fractured toe, Steen hasn’t been practicing much (if at all) and won’t have the Olympic break to rest as he’ll be suiting up with Sweden in Sochi. It’s a big reason why he feels he’s not at his pre-concussion form, when he was challenging Alex Ovechkin for the NHL’s goalscoring lead.
“I’m trying to do what I can to stay in it,” Steen explained. “But it’s not my first time with an injury, either, so you learn from experiences previously and just go about your business.
“Try to do your best.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 1
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)