Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM EST
In his last five games, Blues forward Alex Steen has three goals and seven points — the kind of production most NHL forwards would love to have.
Steen, though, isn’t satisfied.
“To be honest, I’m expecting more of myself,” Steen said, per the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I think there’s a few notches left to get to where I was. I’m trying (but) I still feel like there’s a couple of more notches in my game.”
Steen, 29, has been nothing short of outstanding this season, scoring 27 goals and 45 points in 41 games. St. Louis rewarded the effort with a three-year, $17.4 million contract extension. The only negative has been his health — he missed 11 games with a concussion — and that injury is the reason why Steen feels he still has more to give.
Because of the concussion and his currently-fractured toe, Steen hasn’t been practicing much (if at all) and won’t have the Olympic break to rest as he’ll be suiting up with Sweden in Sochi. It’s a big reason why he feels he’s not at his pre-concussion form, when he was challenging Alex Ovechkin for the NHL’s goalscoring lead.
“I’m trying to do what I can to stay in it,” Steen explained. “But it’s not my first time with an injury, either, so you learn from experiences previously and just go about your business.
“Try to do your best.”
- BREAKING: Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM 14
- Mike Richards clears waivers 25
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)