Jan 30, 2014, 8:03 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Count Phil Kessel among the players asking their family members not to attend the Olympics for the sake of their safety. Kessel’s situation is a bit unique though as his younger sister, Amanda, will be at the games as a member of the United States women’s hockey team. (The Globe and Mail)
Carolina Hurricanes prospect Daniel Altshuller has taken a significant step forward this season. (Hurricanes.nhl.com)
Highlights from the New York Rangers 2-1 victory over the Islanders at Yankee Stadium:
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 10
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 15
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25