Jan 30, 2014, 8:03 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Count Phil Kessel among the players asking their family members not to attend the Olympics for the sake of their safety. Kessel’s situation is a bit unique though as his younger sister, Amanda, will be at the games as a member of the United States women’s hockey team. (The Globe and Mail)
Carolina Hurricanes prospect Daniel Altshuller has taken a significant step forward this season. (Hurricanes.nhl.com)
Highlights from the New York Rangers 2-1 victory over the Islanders at Yankee Stadium:
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 4
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 16
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 59
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5