Jan 30, 2014, 8:03 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Count Phil Kessel among the players asking their family members not to attend the Olympics for the sake of their safety. Kessel’s situation is a bit unique though as his younger sister, Amanda, will be at the games as a member of the United States women’s hockey team. (The Globe and Mail)
Carolina Hurricanes prospect Daniel Altshuller has taken a significant step forward this season. (Hurricanes.nhl.com)
Highlights from the New York Rangers 2-1 victory over the Islanders at Yankee Stadium:
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 3
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14