Jan 30, 2014, 8:03 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $6,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $1,200. Starts Thursday at 7:00 p.m. ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Count Phil Kessel among the players asking their family members not to attend the Olympics for the sake of their safety. Kessel’s situation is a bit unique though as his younger sister, Amanda, will be at the games as a member of the United States women’s hockey team. (The Globe and Mail)
Carolina Hurricanes prospect Daniel Altshuller has taken a significant step forward this season. (Hurricanes.nhl.com)
Highlights from the New York Rangers 2-1 victory over the Islanders at Yankee Stadium:
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 15
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10