Jan 30, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
To hear P.A. Parenteau explain it, there’s not much to like about his current situation.
“It’s part of the game,” Parenteau told the Denver Post prior to his second straight healthy scratch. “But it’s not fun with family and stuff like that.”
The skillful Avs forward won’t play tonight against Minnesota, and he didn’t play in Monday’s 4-3 win over Dallas either. All this fueled speculation that Parenteau could be on the move, especially since he played well — scoring two points in his last three contests — prior to getting scratched.
The former Isles sniper had been sidelined by a knee injury and admitted he might’ve returned too soon — “I wasn’t 100 percent,” he said after missing 10 games — but the healthy scratch is just part of his problem. His name was linked to trade rumors with Montreal, not a great development for someone born and raised in Quebec (and who played his junior hockey in the Q.)
“It’s Montreal, and everyone was calling me,” he explained. “But I’m trying to block that out and wait for my turn. The team is winning, playing really well and Patty [Roy] likes his top-six right now. I’ll be patient.”
Head coach Patrick Roy insists Parenteau isn’t in the doghouse. He simply can’t justify making a lineup change when the Avs are playing so well, having won six of their last eight.
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year, so one would think he’ll have to draw back into the lineup soon — or be moved elsewhere.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 6
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 23
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42