Jan 30, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
To hear P.A. Parenteau explain it, there’s not much to like about his current situation.
“It’s part of the game,” Parenteau told the Denver Post prior to his second straight healthy scratch. “But it’s not fun with family and stuff like that.”
The skillful Avs forward won’t play tonight against Minnesota, and he didn’t play in Monday’s 4-3 win over Dallas either. All this fueled speculation that Parenteau could be on the move, especially since he played well — scoring two points in his last three contests — prior to getting scratched.
The former Isles sniper had been sidelined by a knee injury and admitted he might’ve returned too soon — “I wasn’t 100 percent,” he said after missing 10 games — but the healthy scratch is just part of his problem. His name was linked to trade rumors with Montreal, not a great development for someone born and raised in Quebec (and who played his junior hockey in the Q.)
“It’s Montreal, and everyone was calling me,” he explained. “But I’m trying to block that out and wait for my turn. The team is winning, playing really well and Patty [Roy] likes his top-six right now. I’ll be patient.”
Head coach Patrick Roy insists Parenteau isn’t in the doghouse. He simply can’t justify making a lineup change when the Avs are playing so well, having won six of their last eight.
Parenteau, 30, is in the second of a four-year, $16 million deal signed with the Avs in 2012. He’s been very productive during his time in Denver, scoring 43 points in 48 games during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign, and 26 through 41 games this year, so one would think he’ll have to draw back into the lineup soon — or be moved elsewhere.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)