Jan 30, 2014, 10:20 PM EST
The National Hockey League’s top scorer was on the ice for plenty of goals Thursday night. Trouble was, they were all against his team.
In a hockey world most recently torn on the value of the plus-minus statistic, Alex Ovechkin was a minus-five for the Washington Capitals in a 5-2 loss. It’s hard to argue against the validity of that statistics in this particular case. He was on the ice for every Columbus goal, as the Capitals were flat for most of Thursday’s game, until the third period when they were down by three goals.
Making matters worse: Washington’s defenseman Mike Green left the game in the first period and did not return, after suffering an upper-body injury when he was hit into the end boards by Columbus forward Boone Jenner (click here to see the video).
By the way, the highlight below is Ryan Johansen‘s goal, his 21st of the season, in the second period to put Columbus up by four goals. The Capitals, including Ovechkin, did a lot of standing around and watching on this goal.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:43 PM EST
Ray Emery certainly got a lot of offensive help with Steve Mason out.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
Montreal beat Ottawa 4-1.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
It’s the third time this month New Jersey has been goalless.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:35 PM EST
Calvin Pickard had another great game.
Dec 20, 2014, 9:08 PM EST
It’s been a heated game between Pittsburgh and Florida.
Dec 20, 2014, 8:06 PM EST
It set a franchise record for both teams.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:20 PM EST
Carlyle’s been unhappy with his “very erratic” play.
Dec 20, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
They’ve combined for 13 points in the Kings’ last two games.
Dec 20, 2014, 6:11 PM EST
He might get that opportunity this weekend.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
He might shatter some career-highs this season.
Dec 20, 2014, 5:09 PM EST
He’s shooting for Dec. 27 against Boston.
Dec 20, 2014, 4:24 PM EST
Larsson went to the AHL on a conditioning assignment.
Dec 20, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
Saturday’s slew of starting goalies.
Dec 20, 2014, 2:35 PM EST
Tampa Bay’s top goalie faced shots this morning.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:22 PM EST
Good luck trying to forecast their lines for Saturday.
Dec 20, 2014, 1:21 PM EST
In case you missed it.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:57 PM EST
They believe that it isn’t a long-term issue.
Dec 20, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
Dec 20, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
It’s unclear what the specific ailment is.
Dec 20, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
Absurd might be the right word.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 0
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 2
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 0
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8