Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 4
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)