Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)