Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EST
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
So we're down to three officials as Trevor Hanson goes off for repairs. Puck caught him square in the face.—
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 31, 2014
Referee Trevor Hanson heads to dressing room for repairs after shot bounces off post and bloodies his face. One ref with 2:29 left in second—
John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) January 31, 2014
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 28
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)