Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
So we're down to three officials as Trevor Hanson goes off for repairs. Puck caught him square in the face.—
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 31, 2014
Referee Trevor Hanson heads to dressing room for repairs after shot bounces off post and bloodies his face. One ref with 2:29 left in second—
John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) January 31, 2014
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)