Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18