Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
It’s a difficult job, that of a National Hockey League on-ice official. Their decisions – calls, penalties, non-calls – are often unpopular with just about everybody else, be it players, coaches, fans and media. It’s thankless at times.
It can also have a dangerous side to it. NHL referee Trevor Hanson had to leave Thursday’s game between the Buffalo Sabres and Phoenix Coyotes after taking a puck to the face, according to numerous reports.
So we're down to three officials as Trevor Hanson goes off for repairs. Puck caught him square in the face.—
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) January 31, 2014
Referee Trevor Hanson heads to dressing room for repairs after shot bounces off post and bloodies his face. One ref with 2:29 left in second—
John Vogl (@BuffNewsVogl) January 31, 2014
Updated: As per Yahoo Sports, Hanson did return to the game for the third period.
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 0
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 19
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20