Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
There may soon be hockey at JerryWorld.
In speaking with the Dallas Morning-News, Stars president Jim Lites confirmed his club has had introductory talks to host an outdoor game, with AT&T Stadium — a.k.a Cowboys Stadium — being the early candidate for hosting duties.
“We are in the very early stages of talks and planning, and we expect to make some headway during the Olympic break, but it’s still a few years away,” Lites said. “I think you can talk about the Cotton Bowl or the ballpark [Rangers Ballpark in Arlington], but in the end it makes the most sense to look at Cowboys Stadium.
“You have the safeguard against rain, plus I think an event of this magnitude needs that building. It can be a huge part of the draw in itself.”
Lites said there is a possibility for the game to be played in 2015-16, but admitted 2016-17 is a more realistic target date. The NHL has already announces plans to scale back the number of outdoor games it’ll do per year — next year, the league is expected to hold four — so Dallas might need to wait to sort out logistics and queue up behind a number of other markets pining for an outdoor event.
That said, you can expect this idea to gain some traction — and not just from the Stars’ side of things.
AT&T Stadium has been piling up major dates and attractions as of late — recently, it was named a finalist for the 2017-20 NCAA Final Four — and is reportedly angling for another Super Bowl after hosting one in 2011.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)