Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
There may soon be hockey at JerryWorld.
In speaking with the Dallas Morning-News, Stars president Jim Lites confirmed his club has had introductory talks to host an outdoor game, with AT&T Stadium — a.k.a Cowboys Stadium — being the early candidate for hosting duties.
“We are in the very early stages of talks and planning, and we expect to make some headway during the Olympic break, but it’s still a few years away,” Lites said. “I think you can talk about the Cotton Bowl or the ballpark [Rangers Ballpark in Arlington], but in the end it makes the most sense to look at Cowboys Stadium.
“You have the safeguard against rain, plus I think an event of this magnitude needs that building. It can be a huge part of the draw in itself.”
Lites said there is a possibility for the game to be played in 2015-16, but admitted 2016-17 is a more realistic target date. The NHL has already announces plans to scale back the number of outdoor games it’ll do per year — next year, the league is expected to hold four — so Dallas might need to wait to sort out logistics and queue up behind a number of other markets pining for an outdoor event.
That said, you can expect this idea to gain some traction — and not just from the Stars’ side of things.
AT&T Stadium has been piling up major dates and attractions as of late — recently, it was named a finalist for the 2017-20 NCAA Final Four — and is reportedly angling for another Super Bowl after hosting one in 2011.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)