Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
There may soon be hockey at JerryWorld.
In speaking with the Dallas Morning-News, Stars president Jim Lites confirmed his club has had introductory talks to host an outdoor game, with AT&T Stadium — a.k.a Cowboys Stadium — being the early candidate for hosting duties.
“We are in the very early stages of talks and planning, and we expect to make some headway during the Olympic break, but it’s still a few years away,” Lites said. “I think you can talk about the Cotton Bowl or the ballpark [Rangers Ballpark in Arlington], but in the end it makes the most sense to look at Cowboys Stadium.
“You have the safeguard against rain, plus I think an event of this magnitude needs that building. It can be a huge part of the draw in itself.”
Lites said there is a possibility for the game to be played in 2015-16, but admitted 2016-17 is a more realistic target date. The NHL has already announces plans to scale back the number of outdoor games it’ll do per year — next year, the league is expected to hold four — so Dallas might need to wait to sort out logistics and queue up behind a number of other markets pining for an outdoor event.
That said, you can expect this idea to gain some traction — and not just from the Stars’ side of things.
AT&T Stadium has been piling up major dates and attractions as of late — recently, it was named a finalist for the 2017-20 NCAA Final Four — and is reportedly angling for another Super Bowl after hosting one in 2011.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)