Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EST
There may soon be hockey at JerryWorld.
In speaking with the Dallas Morning-News, Stars president Jim Lites confirmed his club has had introductory talks to host an outdoor game, with AT&T Stadium — a.k.a Cowboys Stadium — being the early candidate for hosting duties.
“We are in the very early stages of talks and planning, and we expect to make some headway during the Olympic break, but it’s still a few years away,” Lites said. “I think you can talk about the Cotton Bowl or the ballpark [Rangers Ballpark in Arlington], but in the end it makes the most sense to look at Cowboys Stadium.
“You have the safeguard against rain, plus I think an event of this magnitude needs that building. It can be a huge part of the draw in itself.”
Lites said there is a possibility for the game to be played in 2015-16, but admitted 2016-17 is a more realistic target date. The NHL has already announces plans to scale back the number of outdoor games it’ll do per year — next year, the league is expected to hold four — so Dallas might need to wait to sort out logistics and queue up behind a number of other markets pining for an outdoor event.
That said, you can expect this idea to gain some traction — and not just from the Stars’ side of things.
AT&T Stadium has been piling up major dates and attractions as of late — recently, it was named a finalist for the 2017-20 NCAA Final Four — and is reportedly angling for another Super Bowl after hosting one in 2011.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (83)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)