Jan 30, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT
There may soon be hockey at JerryWorld.
In speaking with the Dallas Morning-News, Stars president Jim Lites confirmed his club has had introductory talks to host an outdoor game, with AT&T Stadium — a.k.a Cowboys Stadium — being the early candidate for hosting duties.
“We are in the very early stages of talks and planning, and we expect to make some headway during the Olympic break, but it’s still a few years away,” Lites said. “I think you can talk about the Cotton Bowl or the ballpark [Rangers Ballpark in Arlington], but in the end it makes the most sense to look at Cowboys Stadium.
“You have the safeguard against rain, plus I think an event of this magnitude needs that building. It can be a huge part of the draw in itself.”
Lites said there is a possibility for the game to be played in 2015-16, but admitted 2016-17 is a more realistic target date. The NHL has already announces plans to scale back the number of outdoor games it’ll do per year — next year, the league is expected to hold four — so Dallas might need to wait to sort out logistics and queue up behind a number of other markets pining for an outdoor event.
That said, you can expect this idea to gain some traction — and not just from the Stars’ side of things.
AT&T Stadium has been piling up major dates and attractions as of late — recently, it was named a finalist for the 2017-20 NCAA Final Four — and is reportedly angling for another Super Bowl after hosting one in 2011.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)