Jan 30, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
The Blackhawks hadn’t won a game in 10 days, and they weren’t going to make it 11.
Chicago snapped a four-game winless skid on Wednesday night in Vancouver, defeating the Canucks 4-2 for its first victory since defeating Boston 3-2 in a shootout on Jan. 19.
The much-needed victory started inauspiciously for Chicago. The ‘Hawks found themselves down 1-0 just 16 seconds into the game when Chris Higgins took advantage of some lax defending to slide one past Corey Crawford. It was Higgins’ 15th goal of the year, putting him three behind team leader Ryan Kesler (18).
Vancouver doubled its lead when Tom Sestito scored his fifth of the season just 2:24 into the second period, but that goal seemed to awaken the ‘Hawks as they proceeded to score four times in under eight minutes — and kicked off the scoring spree in style.
Three minutes later, Saad scored his 16th of the year to even the score at two. That was followed by goals from Jonathan Toews (his 18th) and Patrick Sharp (his 27th) — when it was all said and done, Chicago had completely wrestled away control of the game and deflated their once-fierce rivals.
Saad would go on to add an empty netter with 38 seconds left in the game, recording his second three-point game of the season.
When the final horn blew, Chicago looked down on the scoresheet and saw major contributions from its best players as Hossa, Sharp and Toews all went for two points each. The same, however, couldn’t be said of Vancouver — Daniel Sedin was again a non-factor as his goalless drought extended to 14 games, his longest since the 2007-08 season.
Alex Burrows was also held scoreless and has now gone 23 games without a single goal this season, registering just three assists.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)