Jan 30, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
The Blackhawks hadn’t won a game in 10 days, and they weren’t going to make it 11.
Chicago snapped a four-game winless skid on Wednesday night in Vancouver, defeating the Canucks 4-2 for its first victory since defeating Boston 3-2 in a shootout on Jan. 19.
The much-needed victory started inauspiciously for Chicago. The ‘Hawks found themselves down 1-0 just 16 seconds into the game when Chris Higgins took advantage of some lax defending to slide one past Corey Crawford. It was Higgins’ 15th goal of the year, putting him three behind team leader Ryan Kesler (18).
Vancouver doubled its lead when Tom Sestito scored his fifth of the season just 2:24 into the second period, but that goal seemed to awaken the ‘Hawks as they proceeded to score four times in under eight minutes — and kicked off the scoring spree in style.
Three minutes later, Saad scored his 16th of the year to even the score at two. That was followed by goals from Jonathan Toews (his 18th) and Patrick Sharp (his 27th) — when it was all said and done, Chicago had completely wrestled away control of the game and deflated their once-fierce rivals.
Saad would go on to add an empty netter with 38 seconds left in the game, recording his second three-point game of the season.
When the final horn blew, Chicago looked down on the scoresheet and saw major contributions from its best players as Hossa, Sharp and Toews all went for two points each. The same, however, couldn’t be said of Vancouver — Daniel Sedin was again a non-factor as his goalless drought extended to 14 games, his longest since the 2007-08 season.
Alex Burrows was also held scoreless and has now gone 23 games without a single goal this season, registering just three assists.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT
She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
It was the game-winner, too.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)