Jan 30, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
The Blackhawks hadn’t won a game in 10 days, and they weren’t going to make it 11.
Chicago snapped a four-game winless skid on Wednesday night in Vancouver, defeating the Canucks 4-2 for its first victory since defeating Boston 3-2 in a shootout on Jan. 19.
The much-needed victory started inauspiciously for Chicago. The ‘Hawks found themselves down 1-0 just 16 seconds into the game when Chris Higgins took advantage of some lax defending to slide one past Corey Crawford. It was Higgins’ 15th goal of the year, putting him three behind team leader Ryan Kesler (18).
Vancouver doubled its lead when Tom Sestito scored his fifth of the season just 2:24 into the second period, but that goal seemed to awaken the ‘Hawks as they proceeded to score four times in under eight minutes — and kicked off the scoring spree in style.
Three minutes later, Saad scored his 16th of the year to even the score at two. That was followed by goals from Jonathan Toews (his 18th) and Patrick Sharp (his 27th) — when it was all said and done, Chicago had completely wrestled away control of the game and deflated their once-fierce rivals.
Saad would go on to add an empty netter with 38 seconds left in the game, recording his second three-point game of the season.
When the final horn blew, Chicago looked down on the scoresheet and saw major contributions from its best players as Hossa, Sharp and Toews all went for two points each. The same, however, couldn’t be said of Vancouver — Daniel Sedin was again a non-factor as his goalless drought extended to 14 games, his longest since the 2007-08 season.
Alex Burrows was also held scoreless and has now gone 23 games without a single goal this season, registering just three assists.
Apr 19, 2015, 12:41 AM EDT
Had a dominant performance in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:56 PM EDT
Anaheim’s veteran forward received a minor penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
“I think I bring a really good winning attitude and I have a lot to offer offensively.”
Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby scored twice and that helps.
Apr 18, 2015, 10:20 PM EDT
Had one goal in 19 playoff games prior to Saturday.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
These teams combined for eight shots in the opening period.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has some decisions to make, now that he’s won the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:39 PM EDT
St. Louis with the win.
Apr 18, 2015, 8:26 PM EDT
Edmonton wins the Connor McDavid sweeps.
Apr 18, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
Can the Penguins and Jets even things up?
Apr 18, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT
Not wasting any time.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This series is all tied up at 1-1.
Apr 18, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT
Mrazek pulled after two periods.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
Deryk Engelland’s game misconduct for instigating was rescinded.
Apr 18, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Enter Jimmy Howard.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:23 PM EDT
He has his first two of these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Pullar Stadium and War Memorial Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
Congrats to Decatur and St. Michael-Albertville.
Apr 18, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
Both will look to give their respective team a 2-1 series lead.
Apr 18, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
He made 42 saves in Chicago’s Game 1 win.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (149)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)