Jan 30, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Yesterday, all signs pointed to Mike Cammalleri returning from an eight-game absence due to a concussion — but today, the Flames reversed course and said Cammalleri wouldn’t play tonight when they host San Jose at the Saddledome.
The circumstances around this decision are curious. Flames head coach Bob Hartley said he felt giving Cammalleri two extra days rest would be beneficial, suggesting the 31-year-old vet would return Saturday against Minnesota.
But according to the Calgary Sun, Cammalleri didn’t suffer a setback and went for a lengthy skate on Thursday — leading many to speculate he’s healthy, and being protected for a potential trade in the near future.
Cammalleri trade rumors are nothing new. He’s a pending UFA that’s highly unlikely to stick in Calgary, given 1) the club is in the midst of a rebuild, and 2) the club’s history for trading away veteran assets at the deadline, like it did last year with Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla and Blake Comeau.
Cammalleri could be a major get for a team looking for offense come Mar. 5. He’s a two-time 30-goal scorer that has found the back of the net — with consistency — in every one of his NHL stops: Los Angeles, Montreal and Calgary.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 14
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 22
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (49)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)