Jan 30, 2014, 1:31 PM EST
Yesterday, all signs pointed to Mike Cammalleri returning from an eight-game absence due to a concussion — but today, the Flames reversed course and said Cammalleri wouldn’t play tonight when they host San Jose at the Saddledome.
The circumstances around this decision are curious. Flames head coach Bob Hartley said he felt giving Cammalleri two extra days rest would be beneficial, suggesting the 31-year-old vet would return Saturday against Minnesota.
But according to the Calgary Sun, Cammalleri didn’t suffer a setback and went for a lengthy skate on Thursday — leading many to speculate he’s healthy, and being protected for a potential trade in the near future.
Cammalleri trade rumors are nothing new. He’s a pending UFA that’s highly unlikely to stick in Calgary, given 1) the club is in the midst of a rebuild, and 2) the club’s history for trading away veteran assets at the deadline, like it did last year with Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla and Blake Comeau.
Cammalleri could be a major get for a team looking for offense come Mar. 5. He’s a two-time 30-goal scorer that has found the back of the net — with consistency — in every one of his NHL stops: Los Angeles, Montreal and Calgary.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)