Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Some serious concern out of the Tampa Bay Lightning camp — star goalie Ben Bishop was forced from Thursday’s contest in Ottawa, following a collision with teammate Nikita Kucherov. The Bolts have announced Bishop won’t return to the contest.
UPDATE: Here’s video…
The incident occurred less than two minutes into the contest. Here are a few descriptions of the incident from a variety of reporters:
Skate to the head of Bishop. Kucherov’s skate. Scary. Bishop gets up slowly. Leaving the game.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) January 31, 2014
Scary scene with Ben Bishop injury. Nice to see him be able to leave without a stretcher.
— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) January 31, 2014
Bishop had sprawled to try to knock puck away from Zibanejad. Kucherov following the play tried to avoid Bishop but caught him hard.
— Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes) January 31, 2014
Bishop, who entered the game fourth in the league with a 1.99 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage, was making his first start in Ottawa since being traded by the Sens last season. He was replaced by Anders Lindback, who hasn’t played since Jan. 13.
Any significant injury to Bishop could prove disastrous to Tampa Bay. The club has performed admirably in the wake of losing top scorer Steven Stamkos to a broken leg, but has largely credited Bishop for carrying the team in Stamkos’ absence.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)