Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Some serious concern out of the Tampa Bay Lightning camp — star goalie Ben Bishop was forced from Thursday’s contest in Ottawa, following a collision with teammate Nikita Kucherov. The Bolts have announced Bishop won’t return to the contest.
UPDATE: Here’s video…
The incident occurred less than two minutes into the contest. Here are a few descriptions of the incident from a variety of reporters:
Skate to the head of Bishop. Kucherov’s skate. Scary. Bishop gets up slowly. Leaving the game.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) January 31, 2014
Scary scene with Ben Bishop injury. Nice to see him be able to leave without a stretcher.
— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) January 31, 2014
Bishop had sprawled to try to knock puck away from Zibanejad. Kucherov following the play tried to avoid Bishop but caught him hard.
— Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes) January 31, 2014
Bishop, who entered the game fourth in the league with a 1.99 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage, was making his first start in Ottawa since being traded by the Sens last season. He was replaced by Anders Lindback, who hasn’t played since Jan. 13.
Any significant injury to Bishop could prove disastrous to Tampa Bay. The club has performed admirably in the wake of losing top scorer Steven Stamkos to a broken leg, but has largely credited Bishop for carrying the team in Stamkos’ absence.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)