Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Some serious concern out of the Tampa Bay Lightning camp — star goalie Ben Bishop was forced from Thursday’s contest in Ottawa, following a collision with teammate Nikita Kucherov. The Bolts have announced Bishop won’t return to the contest.
UPDATE: Here’s video…
The incident occurred less than two minutes into the contest. Here are a few descriptions of the incident from a variety of reporters:
Skate to the head of Bishop. Kucherov’s skate. Scary. Bishop gets up slowly. Leaving the game.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) January 31, 2014
Scary scene with Ben Bishop injury. Nice to see him be able to leave without a stretcher.
— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) January 31, 2014
Bishop had sprawled to try to knock puck away from Zibanejad. Kucherov following the play tried to avoid Bishop but caught him hard.
— Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes) January 31, 2014
Bishop, who entered the game fourth in the league with a 1.99 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage, was making his first start in Ottawa since being traded by the Sens last season. He was replaced by Anders Lindback, who hasn’t played since Jan. 13.
Any significant injury to Bishop could prove disastrous to Tampa Bay. The club has performed admirably in the wake of losing top scorer Steven Stamkos to a broken leg, but has largely credited Bishop for carrying the team in Stamkos’ absence.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)