Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Some serious concern out of the Tampa Bay Lightning camp — star goalie Ben Bishop was forced from Thursday’s contest in Ottawa, following a collision with teammate Nikita Kucherov. The Bolts have announced Bishop won’t return to the contest.
UPDATE: Here’s video…
The incident occurred less than two minutes into the contest. Here are a few descriptions of the incident from a variety of reporters:
Skate to the head of Bishop. Kucherov’s skate. Scary. Bishop gets up slowly. Leaving the game.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) January 31, 2014
Scary scene with Ben Bishop injury. Nice to see him be able to leave without a stretcher.
— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) January 31, 2014
Bishop had sprawled to try to knock puck away from Zibanejad. Kucherov following the play tried to avoid Bishop but caught him hard.
— Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes) January 31, 2014
Bishop, who entered the game fourth in the league with a 1.99 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage, was making his first start in Ottawa since being traded by the Sens last season. He was replaced by Anders Lindback, who hasn’t played since Jan. 13.
Any significant injury to Bishop could prove disastrous to Tampa Bay. The club has performed admirably in the wake of losing top scorer Steven Stamkos to a broken leg, but has largely credited Bishop for carrying the team in Stamkos’ absence.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (56)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)