Jan 30, 2014, 7:58 PM EDT
Some serious concern out of the Tampa Bay Lightning camp — star goalie Ben Bishop was forced from Thursday’s contest in Ottawa, following a collision with teammate Nikita Kucherov. The Bolts have announced Bishop won’t return to the contest.
UPDATE: Here’s video…
The incident occurred less than two minutes into the contest. Here are a few descriptions of the incident from a variety of reporters:
Skate to the head of Bishop. Kucherov’s skate. Scary. Bishop gets up slowly. Leaving the game.
— Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) January 31, 2014
Scary scene with Ben Bishop injury. Nice to see him be able to leave without a stretcher.
— Ian Mendes (@ian_mendes) January 31, 2014
Bishop had sprawled to try to knock puck away from Zibanejad. Kucherov following the play tried to avoid Bishop but caught him hard.
— Damian Cristodero (@LightningTimes) January 31, 2014
Bishop, who entered the game fourth in the league with a 1.99 goals-against average and second with a .933 save percentage, was making his first start in Ottawa since being traded by the Sens last season. He was replaced by Anders Lindback, who hasn’t played since Jan. 13.
Any significant injury to Bishop could prove disastrous to Tampa Bay. The club has performed admirably in the wake of losing top scorer Steven Stamkos to a broken leg, but has largely credited Bishop for carrying the team in Stamkos’ absence.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 33
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 58
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)