Jan 30, 2014, 12:14 AM EST
On Wednesday night, Ben Scrivens was unbeatable.
The Edmonton goalie, acquired from Los Angeles two weeks ago, set an NHL record for saves in a regular-season shutout by stopping all 59 shots faced in a 3-0 win over San Jose at Rexall. The epic performance topped the previous record of 54 saves in a shutout, set by Phoenix goalie Mike Smith against Columbus during the 2011-12 campaign. (It should be noted this mark is the most in a shutout since the NHL began tracking shots on goal 56 years ago.)
“That’s got to be one of the best performances by a goalie I’ve ever seen,” Taylor Hall said, per the Oilers’ Twitter feed. “You could tell he was feeling it.”
Scrivens stopped 50 shots at even strength, eight while the Oilers were on the penalty kill and one while his team had a man advantage.
As for other historical marks set on Wednesday night:
— Scrivens’ 59 saves were the most since Quebec’s Ron Tugnutt made 70 saves in a 3-3 tie at Boston on March 21, 1991. Before that, the most saves by a goaltender was 58, made by the Islanders’ Dwayne Roloson in a 4-3 overtime win at Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign.
— Scrivens broke Edmonton’s franchise mark for saves in a game, previously held by Bill Ranford (who had 56 against the New York Rangers in Mar. 1993).
In news that flew far, far under the radar — but still worth mentioning — the Oilers won their third game in a row for just the second time this season on goals from Justin Schultz, Hall and Jordan Eberle. But obviously the night was all about Scrivens, who put forth a performance that will go down as one of the greatest individual efforts in Edmonton franchise history.
Update: Another point worth mentioning — the record for most saves in a postseason shutout is 70, set by Dominik Hasek during the ’94 playoffs. He stopped ‘em all during a quadruple-OT game against the Devils, the third-longest scoreless overtime game in NHL playoff history.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bad at the shootout, and the Buffalo Sabres are good at it.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)