Jan 30, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
On Wednesday night, Ben Scrivens was unbeatable.
The Edmonton goalie, acquired from Los Angeles two weeks ago, set an NHL record for saves in a regular-season shutout by stopping all 59 shots faced in a 3-0 win over San Jose at Rexall. The epic performance topped the previous record of 54 saves in a shutout, set by Phoenix goalie Mike Smith against Columbus during the 2011-12 campaign. (It should be noted this mark is the most in a shutout since the NHL began tracking shots on goal 56 years ago.)
“That’s got to be one of the best performances by a goalie I’ve ever seen,” Taylor Hall said, per the Oilers’ Twitter feed. “You could tell he was feeling it.”
Scrivens stopped 50 shots at even strength, eight while the Oilers were on the penalty kill and one while his team had a man advantage.
As for other historical marks set on Wednesday night:
– Scrivens’ 59 saves were the most since Quebec’s Ron Tugnutt made 70 saves in a 3-3 tie at Boston on March 21, 1991. Before that, the most saves by a goaltender was 58, made by the Islanders’ Dwayne Roloson in a 4-3 overtime win at Toronto during the 2009-10 campaign.
– Scrivens broke Edmonton’s franchise mark for saves in a game, previously held by Bill Ranford (who had 56 against the New York Rangers in Mar. 1993).
In news that flew far, far under the radar — but still worth mentioning — the Oilers won their third game in a row for just the second time this season on goals from Justin Schultz, Hall and Jordan Eberle. But obviously the night was all about Scrivens, who put forth a performance that will go down as one of the greatest individual efforts in Edmonton franchise history.
Update: Another point worth mentioning — the record for most saves in a postseason shutout is 70, set by Dominik Hasek during the ’94 playoffs. He stopped ‘em all during a quadruple-OT game against the Devils, the third-longest scoreless overtime game in NHL playoff history.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)