Jan 30, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The 2013-14 campaign is one Semyon Varlamov won’t soon forget.
On Thursday, Varlamov re-upped with Colorado on a five-year, $29.5 million extension — one that carries a $5.9 million annual cap hit, putting him among the NHL’s 10 highest-paid netminders starting next season.
“Undoubtedly, Semyon has been an impact player for us this season,” said Avalanche vice president Joe Sakic said in a statement. “At only 25 years old, he is entering the prime years of his career and he wants to be part of this franchise moving forward.
“We are very excited to have come to terms with him and the fact that he has agreed to a five-year extension demonstrates his commitment to the Avalanche and what we’re trying to accomplish.”
The extension will signify a big raise for Varlamov, who is currently in the final of a three-year, $8.5 million deal with a $2.83M cap hit.
Varlamov has posted a 26-9-5 record with a 2.43 goals-against average, .925 save percentage and one shutout in 42 games (39 starts) this season. He was selected to represent Russia at the Winter Olympics in Sochi and, should he maintain this level of play, will likely be in Vezina consideration at year’s end.
Of course, Varlamov came under heavy scrutiny this season after he was charged with third-degree assault following allegations of assaulting his girlfriend at their home on Oct. 30. Those charges were later dropped – “it became clear we didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” Denver district attorney spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said, per the Denver Post — but Varlamov’s accuser stood by her story, saying she was “saddened” by the D.A’s decision.
UPDATE: Interesting note here about Colorado’s cap situation for next season, from ESPN’s Craig Custance…
Varlamov goes from 2.8 to 5.9 next year. Landeskog from 925K to $5.57 mil. O’Reilly has huge QO coming or new deal. Prices jumping in CO.
— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) January 31, 2014
The Avs also have a decision to make with pending UFA center Paul Stastny.
Apr 25, 2014, 2:44 AM EDT
That game is on Saturday.
Apr 25, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT
Apr 25, 2014, 1:55 AM EDT
Yet this game was close on the score board.
Apr 25, 2014, 1:32 AM EDT
San Jose can’t complete the sweep.
Apr 25, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
They’ll rest him for Game 5 – unless San Jose comes back.
Apr 25, 2014, 12:16 AM EDT
All Minny in this one, as we said earlier.
Apr 25, 2014, 12:05 AM EDT
Insert “Did he miss Iginla’s head?” jokes.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:45 PM EDT
Timing of the goal couldn’t have been better for San Jose.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
Boston wins it on an odd goal.
Apr 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT
All Minny through two – except on the score board.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
His haters rejoice on Thursday (at least so far).
Apr 24, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
Out of his control, however.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
L.A. looking to stave off elimination.
Apr 24, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
“No hard feelings.”
Apr 24, 2014, 9:18 PM EDT
More playoff hockey.
Apr 24, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
It’s due to flu-like symptoms for Detroit’s normal starter.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:44 PM EDT
This post will be updated if there’s a late swerve.
Apr 24, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
Whether Henrik Zetterberg can go or not.
Apr 24, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
He’s glad the former got some playoff reps, though.
Apr 24, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
He sure looked yippy last night night in Columbus.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)