Jan 30, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
The 2013-14 campaign is one Semyon Varlamov won’t soon forget.
On Thursday, Varlamov re-upped with Colorado on a five-year, $29.5 million extension — one that carries a $5.9 million annual cap hit, putting him among the NHL’s 10 highest-paid netminders starting next season.
“Undoubtedly, Semyon has been an impact player for us this season,” said Avalanche vice president Joe Sakic said in a statement. “At only 25 years old, he is entering the prime years of his career and he wants to be part of this franchise moving forward.
“We are very excited to have come to terms with him and the fact that he has agreed to a five-year extension demonstrates his commitment to the Avalanche and what we’re trying to accomplish.”
The extension will signify a big raise for Varlamov, who is currently in the final of a three-year, $8.5 million deal with a $2.83M cap hit.
Varlamov has posted a 26-9-5 record with a 2.43 goals-against average, .925 save percentage and one shutout in 42 games (39 starts) this season. He was selected to represent Russia at the Winter Olympics in Sochi and, should he maintain this level of play, will likely be in Vezina consideration at year’s end.
Of course, Varlamov came under heavy scrutiny this season after he was charged with third-degree assault following allegations of assaulting his girlfriend at their home on Oct. 30. Those charges were later dropped – “it became clear we didn’t have a belief we could prove it beyond a reasonable doubt,” Denver district attorney spokeswoman Lynn Kimbrough said, per the Denver Post — but Varlamov’s accuser stood by her story, saying she was “saddened” by the D.A’s decision.
UPDATE: Interesting note here about Colorado’s cap situation for next season, from ESPN’s Craig Custance…
Varlamov goes from 2.8 to 5.9 next year. Landeskog from 925K to $5.57 mil. O’Reilly has huge QO coming or new deal. Prices jumping in CO.
— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) January 31, 2014
The Avs also have a decision to make with pending UFA center Paul Stastny.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)