Jan 29, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
Tonight in Edmonton and tomorrow in Calgary, the San Jose Sharks will play two of the worst teams in the NHL. After that, it’s four straight home games, followed by the 17-day Olympic break.
The Sharks should be favored in all six of those games, but head coach Todd McLellan is still wary.
“The issue that I’m sure a lot of teams will have is, let’s make sure we don’t go on the break early,” McLellan said, per CSN Bay Area. “Let’s make sure that we get to the finish line and stockpile as many points as possible. We’ve been good to this point. … We’re going to push hard, and we expect the players to respond, and then they can earn that time off.”
The Sharks are actually in a pretty unique spot. Nine points back of Anaheim and eight points ahead of Los Angeles in the Pacific Division, they couldn’t be much more solidified in second spot at this point in the season. It’s highly likely, though admittedly far from guaranteed, that second place is where they finish, meaning a first-round playoff match-up with the Kings (probable), Canucks (still possible), or Coyotes (you never know).
Chasing down the Ducks isn’t out of the question though. Not when you consider the Sharks have two games in hand and a less-than-harrowing schedule to finish the season.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)