Jan 29, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Stars forward Ryan Garbutt has agreed to a three-year contract extension, as first reported by Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Heika.
According to the Winnipeg Sun, the deal is for $5.4 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
The money is a good bump from the $575,00 Garbutt’s making this year, but the security must also be nice for the 28-year-old from Winnipeg. The Brown University product was never drafted, spending his first year out of college with the CHL’s Corpus Christi Icerays. Stops in the ECHL and AHL were to follow before he got his shot with the Stars during the 2011-12 season.
ESPN’s Scott Burnside wrote an extended piece on Garbutt during the lockout. His was certainly not your conventional route to the NHL.
Garbutt has 10 goals and eight assists in 46 games this season.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a release. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)