Jan 29, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Stars forward Ryan Garbutt has agreed to a three-year contract extension, as first reported by Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Heika.
According to the Winnipeg Sun, the deal is for $5.4 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
The money is a good bump from the $575,00 Garbutt’s making this year, but the security must also be nice for the 28-year-old from Winnipeg. The Brown University product was never drafted, spending his first year out of college with the CHL’s Corpus Christi Icerays. Stops in the ECHL and AHL were to follow before he got his shot with the Stars during the 2011-12 season.
ESPN’s Scott Burnside wrote an extended piece on Garbutt during the lockout. His was certainly not your conventional route to the NHL.
Garbutt has 10 goals and eight assists in 46 games this season.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a release. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)