Jan 29, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Stars forward Ryan Garbutt has agreed to a three-year contract extension, as first reported by Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Heika.
According to the Winnipeg Sun, the deal is for $5.4 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
The money is a good bump from the $575,00 Garbutt’s making this year, but the security must also be nice for the 28-year-old from Winnipeg. The Brown University product was never drafted, spending his first year out of college with the CHL’s Corpus Christi Icerays. Stops in the ECHL and AHL were to follow before he got his shot with the Stars during the 2011-12 season.
ESPN’s Scott Burnside wrote an extended piece on Garbutt during the lockout. His was certainly not your conventional route to the NHL.
Garbutt has 10 goals and eight assists in 46 games this season.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a release. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)