Jan 29, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Stars forward Ryan Garbutt has agreed to a three-year contract extension, as first reported by Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Heika.
According to the Winnipeg Sun, the deal is for $5.4 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
The money is a good bump from the $575,00 Garbutt’s making this year, but the security must also be nice for the 28-year-old from Winnipeg. The Brown University product was never drafted, spending his first year out of college with the CHL’s Corpus Christi Icerays. Stops in the ECHL and AHL were to follow before he got his shot with the Stars during the 2011-12 season.
ESPN’s Scott Burnside wrote an extended piece on Garbutt during the lockout. His was certainly not your conventional route to the NHL.
Garbutt has 10 goals and eight assists in 46 games this season.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a release. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)