Jan 29, 2014, 12:21 PM EST
Stars forward Ryan Garbutt has agreed to a three-year contract extension, as first reported by Dallas Morning News reporter Mike Heika.
According to the Winnipeg Sun, the deal is for $5.4 million with an average annual cap hit of $1.8 million.
The money is a good bump from the $575,00 Garbutt’s making this year, but the security must also be nice for the 28-year-old from Winnipeg. The Brown University product was never drafted, spending his first year out of college with the CHL’s Corpus Christi Icerays. Stops in the ECHL and AHL were to follow before he got his shot with the Stars during the 2011-12 season.
ESPN’s Scott Burnside wrote an extended piece on Garbutt during the lockout. His was certainly not your conventional route to the NHL.
Garbutt has 10 goals and eight assists in 46 games this season.
“Ryan has shown that he is an effective, hard-hitting forward that plays the game with a great deal of speed and tenacity,” said Stars general manager Jim Nill in a release. “Over the course of the season, he has earned the trust of his coaching staff and has played himself into a role where we ask him to play against our opponent’s top players on a nightly basis. It’s a great credit to the work he has put in and we’re excited to have him signed.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 1
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 27
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)