Jan 29, 2014, 3:17 PM EDT
Sounds like their reported asking prices could be playing a role. From the New York Post:
Negotiations regarding an extension are at a standstill, if not an impasse, with Callahan believed seeking a deal in the neighborhood of seven years at $42 million that is not in the same ballpark as general manager Glen Sather is willing to pay; not even a ballpark as expansive as Yankee Stadium, where the Rangers and Islanders will meet on Wednesday.
As such, the Rangers are believed to be in the process of conducting due diligence regarding the rental market for Callahan, though two league GMs told The Post on Wednesday morning the captain’s name had not been broached recently by Sather.
The Post goes on to report that Girardi — who, like Callahan, is a pending UFA — is “believed to be seeking a six-year deal in the neighborhood of $5.5 million per season,” while Rangers GM Glen Sather has countered with two offers: “one for six years at more than $5 million per and one for five years at more than $5.5 million per.”
If accurate, both Callahan and Girardi’s demands would translate into big raises. Callahan’s in the final season of a three-year, $12.825 million deal — an average annual cap hit of $4.275 million — while Girardi’s in the last of his four-year, $13.3 million deal with a $3.325M cap hit.
The Rangers have plenty of cap space available for next season, though that’s largely the result of having just 10 players under contract. Henrik Lundqvist ($8.5M), Rick Nash ($7.8M) and Brad Richards ($6.7M) all carry fairly substantial salaries, and New York needs to deal with a quintet of restricted free agents: Derick Brassard, Mats Zuccarello, Chris Kreider, John Moore and Justin Falk.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)