Jan 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
If the NHL pulls its players out of the 2014 Winter Olympics because of security concerns, Hockey Canada will be left scrambling.
Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson said there is no “Plan B” if violence causes the NHL to keep the players in North America as Joshua Clipperton of The Canadian Press shares.
“Our contingency plan would be everyone around this room today,” he said while speaking to reporters at Rogers Arena. “We have none.”
Not having a backup plan for how to handle Olympic hockey can be excused here since, if there are problems that would force athletes to stay away, there would be much larger concerns to deal with. Winning gold in hockey (or any sport) doesn’t compare to maintaining safety.
The possibility of violence causing a disruption of the games in Sochi, Russia is a hot topic of late. The NHL reportedly has a “contingency plan” if things take a turn for the worse and some players are having their families stay away from Russia to keep them safe.
The Olympic hockey tournament begins February 12.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)