Jan 29, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
The Calgary Flames rode a TJ Brodie overtime goal to a 5-4 (OT) home win against Chicago on Tuesday, giving the defending champions their fourth loss in a row.
That might not sound like a big deal, but it’s at least unusual; this is their longest losing streak since the ‘Hawks dropped nine in a row back in 2012 (according to the Chicago Sun-Times’ Mark Lazerus).
Worse yet, this loss combined with the St. Louis Blues’ 3-0 win against the New Jersey Devils leaves both teams with 77 points, which means the Central Division is tied at first. (Technically, the Blues have the lead, as they’ve played three fewer games than Chicago.)
Tough times ahead … at least until March
Now, it’s not time for the Blackhawks to panic, but this streak might get a little uglier before things turn around.
The Blackhawks continue this road run with five more away games, then send a slew of players to Sochi for the Olympics. After that, they open the post-Olympic break with a game at Madison Square Garden against the New York Rangers.
In all, they’ll wait more than a month between home games (Jan. 26 to March 1), though the Olympics obviously skew that.
In other words, you might want to expect a few “What’s wrong with the Blackhawks?” articles … at least until they play a ton of home games in March.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 3
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)