Phoenix officially changes name to Arizona Coyotes

Jan 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT

Coyotes-logo

The Phoenix Coyotes have made the rumors official, announcing they’ll be changing the franchise name to the Arizona Coyotes beginning in 2014-15.

“We are very excited to announce that our franchise name will change to Arizona Coyotes for the start of the 2014-15 NHL season,” said team president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said in a statement. “Becoming the Arizona Coyotes makes sense for us since we play our games in Glendale and the city is such a great partner of ours.

“We also want to be recognized as not just the hockey team for Glendale or Phoenix, but the team for the entire state of Arizona and the Southwest. We hope that the name ‘Arizona’ will encourage more fans from all over the state, not just the valley, to embrace and support our team.”

According to the release, the Coyotes will introduce a new shoulder patch for their home and road jerseys next year, and will be unveiled prior to the team’s first exhibition game. The rest of the team’s jerseys will not change.

1. kingcobraman - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM

and soon to be called the Seattle wolfs or something…..

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:12 PM

I was about to point out how unoriginal your comment was, until I noticed you opted to go for the misspelling “wolfs” instead of “wolves”. Nice touch!

• comeonnowguys - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Toronto fans approve!

• kingcobraman - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

yes and so un original to bash some one for spelling mistake…u must just be atypical grumpy fat old balding man …get a life a$$clown…everybody knows in 4 more years they will be gone….

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I was actually not bashing you for the spelling mistake, but making a joke that comeonnowguys got and you clearly didn’t.

I’ll accept that I am sometimes grumpy, but I’m hardly old, fat or balding.

And as for your 4 years comment, you are clearly a diehard against the idea of hockey in the desert, and obviously you are not open-minded to the possible (and in my opinion inevitable) success of the Coyotes franchise, so who is really the grumpy one here?

And look, I was even “un original” or an “atypical grumpy fat old balding man” by “bashing” your issues with spelling.

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM

wasn’t*

See? Spelling gets the best of all of us from time to time.

• storminator16 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM

I’m amazed at how many folks didn’t get it…

• kingcobraman - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:43 PM

sorry is in order after coming back and re reading. yes Seattle wolves is cool….

• wingsdjy - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I don’t get it :sadface:

• kaptaanamerica - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:15 PM

i can’t believe kingcobraman didn’t know that his comment about “seattle wolfs” was original cuz it made auto fun of the “leafs”… no one made fun of the spelling mistake, but i guess he really did make a spelling mistake, and unintentionally came up with a fun name at the same time.

not sure how many ‘wolfs’ are in seattle though. lots of wolves in washington state i would imagine being in the northwest…

• skr213 - Jan 29, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Man, this was like a train wreck in slow motion. Just sitting wondering if someone would eventually point out why thailer’s comment was funny re the Leafs, and seeing kingcobraman (wow, what a name!) just having it all go over his head. From all the rubberneckers, thanks for the laughs!

• wingsdjy - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:27 AM

….and now I get it, a day later. derp, derp on my part

2. bensawesomeness - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM

They missed their chance for the Phoenix Phoenixes. All other names are just disappointment

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Or they could have gone with just a singular Phoenix with a double meaning. Just: The Phoenix.

Who’s on first?

3. muckleflugga - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:13 PM

soooo

can you teach an old dog new tricks

4. Mr. Miller - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Eh. I guess they have to try something to boost attendance and relevancy. Though I’d be quite annoyed with the Illinois Blackhawks.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:40 PM

It’s easier to make a change like that when there aren’t any fans to get up in arms about it.

• lovinthatsomanyhateonnd - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:48 PM

lol actually there are plenty of fans..and the new ownership is awesome! really taking it to another level (tailgaiting parties with the owners on the grill, cheaper seats, deals for students and vets, and they have passion and drive.)

• Mr. Miller - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Good point. Still seems like a desperation move.

• gbrim - Jan 29, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Mr. Miller– The ‘desperation move’ was actually announced in an unofficial manner (subject to league approval) at the time the team was acquired. The purchase of the team happened so late in the offseason it was too late to get league approval for this year.

• joey4id - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM

How about the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Wonder how that marketing strategy worked for them.

• 1981titan - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:06 PM

We blame the University of Arizona Geography department for that one. The Angels owner probably did well in his business courses, but obviously failed the mandatory geography class.

5. tmoore4075 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Holy crap I’m so excited about the patch. I mean how cool is that? ;-)

6. w3bstur - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I found thailer35′s grammar comment to be hilarious. Look how mad it made you Lol

7. skipwiley30 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Yes, there are a lot of coyotes in Arizona, but why don’t they name them for something that REALLY represents what Arizona has a lot of…..The Arizona Illegal Aliens

• storminator16 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:03 PM

….

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM

While I’m hesitant to even respond to your comment and aknowledge it, I can’t help but point out that technically by way of multiple meanings of the word Coyote, it does. A Coyote can refer to someone who is paid to help people from Mexico cross into the U.S. illegally.

• 180star32 - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Don’t let Bob Costas know Coyote can be used as a slang term.

8. hildezero - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM

XD It’s funny how knuckleheads like kingcobraman is trying to act smart and thinks he knows everything. lol

Anyway. This is embarrassing. As a Yotes fan and someone who grew up in PHX, I’m disappointed. This is going backwards instead of going forward. This move will make Phoenix look “smaller”. Sports teams are one of the few ways that really gives a city attention and cred. Phoenix is an underrated city already. Cards? I don’t know, but the D-backs changing their name to Phoenix would be a great idea for PHX.

• kingcobraman - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:15 PM

it is hilarious how phoenix fans still believe their team will still be there… wake up and enjoy your football, baseball and basketball….hockey is not a dessert sport… I respect the fans for there luv of hockey but she’s gonna leave yea…

• thailer35 - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I don’t buy that hockey isn’t a dessert sport. They sell ice cream, churros and chocolate dipped fruits in the arena. You can’t tell me it’s not a dessert sport.

• jhaegs - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:59 PM

“…knuckleheads like kingcobraman ARE trying to act smart…” 😔

9. ronswansonn - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:48 PM

sick…this should make them a lot better…

10. pariseinminnesotabichez - Jan 29, 2014 at 4:23 PM

And the point of this?

11. johnnycantread - Jan 29, 2014 at 5:58 PM

I think they should have changed their name to “Crazy Clowns” instead.

12. pavelfitzgerald - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM

The inevitable success of the Phoenix/Arizona/Glendale Coyotes?
    Shouldn’t that inevitability reared it’s ugly head by now over the last 16-17 seasons or so?

13. johnnycantread - Jan 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM

How about calling themselves, “The Phoenix Coyotes of Arizona”?

14. blomfeld - Jan 29, 2014 at 11:11 PM

JUST RE-ARRANGING DECK CHAIRS ON THE TITANIC ?

Just kidding Trailer and friends, as I do truly wish for Bettman’s ‘experiment’ in the desert to be a lasting success. Besides, the great state of Arizona is my favorite state in the union and I’m headed that way this weekend for my annual winter ‘golf’ getaway ! Sunday just can’t come soon enough man ! :)

GO COYOTES GO ! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND HOPEFULLY THE DAY AFTER THAT ! :)

• parasolmonster - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Blomfeld, I like to imagine that you draft all of your posts with colors and large fonts in AOL e-mail before posting here.

• thailer35 - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Beautiful weather for golf out here blom, should be a great trip! Headed to the arena for the game Saturday? Should be a full house.

Chances Blue Jackets bounce back?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches