Jan 29, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
The Devils have lost three of five and were outscored 10-3 in their last two, so it wasn’t much of a surprise to hear alternate captain Patrik Elias fume last night.
“We’ve got guys that want to do it by themselves out there,” he said after Tuesday’s loss to St. Louis, per the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “That’s all.”
Elias wouldn’t name names, though there was no lack of candidates following a listless effort against the Blues in which the Devils mustered just 23 shots and wet 0-for-4 on the power play.
From an overall perspective, it seems New Jersey’s problem this year is consistency — or a lack thereof. The club’s longest winning streak of the season is three games and it’s occurred just once, during a stretch in mid-November where the Devils beat Pittsburgh, Anaheim and Los Angeles (the latter two victories coming in overtime).
Since then, the club has failed to get on any sort of roll. Check out January alone:
Elias’ frustration probably comes from the fact that, despite the inconsistency, the Devils are still pretty close to a playoff position. They head into Wednesday’s action just two points back of Carolina for the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, though the ‘Canes have a game in hand.
Elias says the Devils have the talent to be a playoff team, so long as they play the right way.
“We have good enough players to win hockey games. We’ve done that in the past and in a lot of the 54 games we’ve played this year,” he explained. “But guys can’t do it by themselves.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)