Jan 29, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Daniel Carcillo‘s third period goal was enough to be the difference as the New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 2-1 outdoors at Yankee Stadium.
The Rangers win made them 2-0-0 in the games at the House That Jeter Built after they took out the New Jersey Devils 7-3 on Sunday afternoon.
Isles forward Brock Nelson opened the scoring with 1:27 left in the second period, but Benoit Pouliot tied it up 40 seconds later on a frigid night in the Bronx. Henrik Lundqvist had 30 saves to earn the win. Evgeni Nabokov stopped 32 for the Isles.
A few things to chew on in the comments…
— For a game that didn’t have a lot of quality chances, there were plenty of shots.
— Not a bad night at all for Nabokov after returning from injury on Monday night.
— The win helps the Rangers crack 60 points in the standings (the win gave them 61). They’re just the second team to do that in the Metropolitan Division (Pittsburgh leads with 76 points).
Check out the goals from the second period that helped set up Carcillo’s moment under the stars in the third.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)