Jan 29, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
Daniel Carcillo‘s third period goal was enough to be the difference as the New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 2-1 outdoors at Yankee Stadium.
The Rangers win made them 2-0-0 in the games at the House That Jeter Built after they took out the New Jersey Devils 7-3 on Sunday afternoon.
Isles forward Brock Nelson opened the scoring with 1:27 left in the second period, but Benoit Pouliot tied it up 40 seconds later on a frigid night in the Bronx. Henrik Lundqvist had 30 saves to earn the win. Evgeni Nabokov stopped 32 for the Isles.
A few things to chew on in the comments…
— For a game that didn’t have a lot of quality chances, there were plenty of shots.
— Not a bad night at all for Nabokov after returning from injury on Monday night.
— The win helps the Rangers crack 60 points in the standings (the win gave them 61). They’re just the second team to do that in the Metropolitan Division (Pittsburgh leads with 76 points).
Check out the goals from the second period that helped set up Carcillo’s moment under the stars in the third.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)