Jan 29, 2014, 10:25 PM EST
Daniel Carcillo‘s third period goal was enough to be the difference as the New York Rangers beat the New York Islanders 2-1 outdoors at Yankee Stadium.
The Rangers win made them 2-0-0 in the games at the House That Jeter Built after they took out the New Jersey Devils 7-3 on Sunday afternoon.
Isles forward Brock Nelson opened the scoring with 1:27 left in the second period, but Benoit Pouliot tied it up 40 seconds later on a frigid night in the Bronx. Henrik Lundqvist had 30 saves to earn the win. Evgeni Nabokov stopped 32 for the Isles.
A few things to chew on in the comments…
— For a game that didn’t have a lot of quality chances, there were plenty of shots.
— Not a bad night at all for Nabokov after returning from injury on Monday night.
— The win helps the Rangers crack 60 points in the standings (the win gave them 61). They’re just the second team to do that in the Metropolitan Division (Pittsburgh leads with 76 points).
Check out the goals from the second period that helped set up Carcillo’s moment under the stars in the third.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)