Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils couldn’t solve St. Louis Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak on Tuesday and consequently suffered their second straight loss. The Devils have been up-and-down lately, which would be fine under better circumstances.
The problem is that the team is entering the stretch run and have an uphill battle ahead of them. The Devils are one of six teams that are currently within two points of the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. So while they’re clearly still in the race, they can’t expect to squeak into the postseason if they are simply okay through their final 28 contests.
“I just think we’ve got to get a little more bite in our game, overall a little more urgency, desperation,” Devils forward Ryane Clowe told the Bergen Record. “This is it for us right now. … You’ve got to take charge. We’ve got a veteran team. We’ve just got to step up.”
The Devils will continue their road trip with a game against Dallas on Thursday. After that they’ll play in Nashville before heading home.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)