Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils couldn’t solve St. Louis Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak on Tuesday and consequently suffered their second straight loss. The Devils have been up-and-down lately, which would be fine under better circumstances.
The problem is that the team is entering the stretch run and have an uphill battle ahead of them. The Devils are one of six teams that are currently within two points of the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. So while they’re clearly still in the race, they can’t expect to squeak into the postseason if they are simply okay through their final 28 contests.
“I just think we’ve got to get a little more bite in our game, overall a little more urgency, desperation,” Devils forward Ryane Clowe told the Bergen Record. “This is it for us right now. … You’ve got to take charge. We’ve got a veteran team. We’ve just got to step up.”
The Devils will continue their road trip with a game against Dallas on Thursday. After that they’ll play in Nashville before heading home.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)