Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils couldn’t solve St. Louis Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak on Tuesday and consequently suffered their second straight loss. The Devils have been up-and-down lately, which would be fine under better circumstances.
The problem is that the team is entering the stretch run and have an uphill battle ahead of them. The Devils are one of six teams that are currently within two points of the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. So while they’re clearly still in the race, they can’t expect to squeak into the postseason if they are simply okay through their final 28 contests.
“I just think we’ve got to get a little more bite in our game, overall a little more urgency, desperation,” Devils forward Ryane Clowe told the Bergen Record. “This is it for us right now. … You’ve got to take charge. We’ve got a veteran team. We’ve just got to step up.”
The Devils will continue their road trip with a game against Dallas on Thursday. After that they’ll play in Nashville before heading home.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39