Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 AM EST
The New Jersey Devils couldn’t solve St. Louis Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak on Tuesday and consequently suffered their second straight loss. The Devils have been up-and-down lately, which would be fine under better circumstances.
The problem is that the team is entering the stretch run and have an uphill battle ahead of them. The Devils are one of six teams that are currently within two points of the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. So while they’re clearly still in the race, they can’t expect to squeak into the postseason if they are simply okay through their final 28 contests.
“I just think we’ve got to get a little more bite in our game, overall a little more urgency, desperation,” Devils forward Ryane Clowe told the Bergen Record. “This is it for us right now. … You’ve got to take charge. We’ve got a veteran team. We’ve just got to step up.”
The Devils will continue their road trip with a game against Dallas on Thursday. After that they’ll play in Nashville before heading home.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)