Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils couldn’t solve St. Louis Blues goaltender Jaroslav Halak on Tuesday and consequently suffered their second straight loss. The Devils have been up-and-down lately, which would be fine under better circumstances.
The problem is that the team is entering the stretch run and have an uphill battle ahead of them. The Devils are one of six teams that are currently within two points of the second Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. So while they’re clearly still in the race, they can’t expect to squeak into the postseason if they are simply okay through their final 28 contests.
“I just think we’ve got to get a little more bite in our game, overall a little more urgency, desperation,” Devils forward Ryane Clowe told the Bergen Record. “This is it for us right now. … You’ve got to take charge. We’ve got a veteran team. We’ve just got to step up.”
The Devils will continue their road trip with a game against Dallas on Thursday. After that they’ll play in Nashville before heading home.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)