Jan 29, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The New York Islanders’ Kyle Okposo – John Tavares – Thomas Vanek line combined for an impressive 15 shots on goal in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss at Yankee Stadium, but head coach Jack Capuano couldn’t help but critique that prolific trio.
“I’m not going to single certain guys out, but I think that line knows they can be better,” Capuano said. “I think we talked about it before with them. They tried to do a little too much. Less is more. You know, (Vanek) was in front of the goalie, Lundqvist, a few times and we never generated pucks through to him. That was the one area of the game that I thought could have been better.”
While Capuano saw room for improvement, Okposo – Tavares – Vanek left New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault gushing once again.
“That top line is one of the most dynamic lines I’ve seen in this game,” Vigneault said. “All young players, all guys that can skate and move the puck. Maybe tonight the fact that it was a little bit challenging made it a little bit tougher for them. We won the game, and we’re going to get ready for our next match-up on Friday against them.”
In other words, Vigneault might have a more literal viewpoint regarding Capuano’s “less is more” take (in that he probably hopes they’re a little less dynamic).
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)