Jan 29, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
The New York Islanders’ Kyle Okposo – John Tavares – Thomas Vanek line combined for an impressive 15 shots on goal in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss at Yankee Stadium, but head coach Jack Capuano couldn’t help but critique that prolific trio.
“I’m not going to single certain guys out, but I think that line knows they can be better,” Capuano said. “I think we talked about it before with them. They tried to do a little too much. Less is more. You know, (Vanek) was in front of the goalie, Lundqvist, a few times and we never generated pucks through to him. That was the one area of the game that I thought could have been better.”
While Capuano saw room for improvement, Okposo – Tavares – Vanek left New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault gushing once again.
“That top line is one of the most dynamic lines I’ve seen in this game,” Vigneault said. “All young players, all guys that can skate and move the puck. Maybe tonight the fact that it was a little bit challenging made it a little bit tougher for them. We won the game, and we’re going to get ready for our next match-up on Friday against them.”
In other words, Vigneault might have a more literal viewpoint regarding Capuano’s “less is more” take (in that he probably hopes they’re a little less dynamic).
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 0
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 33
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)