Jan 29, 2014, 11:38 PM EST
The New York Islanders’ Kyle Okposo – John Tavares – Thomas Vanek line combined for an impressive 15 shots on goal in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss at Yankee Stadium, but head coach Jack Capuano couldn’t help but critique that prolific trio.
“I’m not going to single certain guys out, but I think that line knows they can be better,” Capuano said. “I think we talked about it before with them. They tried to do a little too much. Less is more. You know, (Vanek) was in front of the goalie, Lundqvist, a few times and we never generated pucks through to him. That was the one area of the game that I thought could have been better.”
While Capuano saw room for improvement, Okposo – Tavares – Vanek left New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault gushing once again.
“That top line is one of the most dynamic lines I’ve seen in this game,” Vigneault said. “All young players, all guys that can skate and move the puck. Maybe tonight the fact that it was a little bit challenging made it a little bit tougher for them. We won the game, and we’re going to get ready for our next match-up on Friday against them.”
In other words, Vigneault might have a more literal viewpoint regarding Capuano’s “less is more” take (in that he probably hopes they’re a little less dynamic).
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 7
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)