Jan 29, 2014, 11:38 PM EDT
The New York Islanders’ Kyle Okposo – John Tavares – Thomas Vanek line combined for an impressive 15 shots on goal in Wednesday’s 2-1 loss at Yankee Stadium, but head coach Jack Capuano couldn’t help but critique that prolific trio.
“I’m not going to single certain guys out, but I think that line knows they can be better,” Capuano said. “I think we talked about it before with them. They tried to do a little too much. Less is more. You know, (Vanek) was in front of the goalie, Lundqvist, a few times and we never generated pucks through to him. That was the one area of the game that I thought could have been better.”
While Capuano saw room for improvement, Okposo – Tavares – Vanek left New York Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault gushing once again.
“That top line is one of the most dynamic lines I’ve seen in this game,” Vigneault said. “All young players, all guys that can skate and move the puck. Maybe tonight the fact that it was a little bit challenging made it a little bit tougher for them. We won the game, and we’re going to get ready for our next match-up on Friday against them.”
In other words, Vigneault might have a more literal viewpoint regarding Capuano’s “less is more” take (in that he probably hopes they’re a little less dynamic).
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)