Jan 29, 2014, 2:23 PM EST
Vancouver potentially suffered a big blow on defense Wednesday as News 1130 reported Chris Tanev would be sidelined with a fractured thumb. If the injury report is accurate, Tanev’s not expected to return until after the Olympic break.
Canucks interim head coach Mike Sullivan wouldn’t confirm the report, only saying Tanev was day-to-day with an upper body injury, and wouldn’t play tonight against Chicago.
Tanev, 24, has appeared in all 54 games for the Canucks this year, scoring five goals and 14 points while averaging nearly 21 minutes per night. He likely suffered the injury during Monday night’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton, a game in which he played 21:34 while leading all Canucks skaters with six blocked shots.
Blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte this season — he has 112, 12th most in the NHL — and his absence will hurt a Canucks team that’s struggled recently, allowing 10 goals over its last three games.
Vancouver has six games remaining until the Olympic break — home versus Chicago tonight, then a five-game road swing through Winnipeg, Detroit, Boston, Montreal and Toronto. Tanev will miss all six, then be reevaluated for a potential return when games start back on Wednesday, Feb. 26 (the Canucks host St. Louis that night.)
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (75)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)