Jan 29, 2014, 2:23 PM EDT
Vancouver potentially suffered a big blow on defense Wednesday as News 1130 reported Chris Tanev would be sidelined with a fractured thumb. If the injury report is accurate, Tanev’s not expected to return until after the Olympic break.
Canucks interim head coach Mike Sullivan wouldn’t confirm the report, only saying Tanev was day-to-day with an upper body injury, and wouldn’t play tonight against Chicago.
Tanev, 24, has appeared in all 54 games for the Canucks this year, scoring five goals and 14 points while averaging nearly 21 minutes per night. He likely suffered the injury during Monday night’s 4-2 loss to Edmonton, a game in which he played 21:34 while leading all Canucks skaters with six blocked shots.
Blocked shots have been Tanev’s forte this season — he has 112, 12th most in the NHL — and his absence will hurt a Canucks team that’s struggled recently, allowing 10 goals over its last three games.
Vancouver has six games remaining until the Olympic break — home versus Chicago tonight, then a five-game road swing through Winnipeg, Detroit, Boston, Montreal and Toronto. Tanev will miss all six, then be reevaluated for a potential return when games start back on Wednesday, Feb. 26 (the Canucks host St. Louis that night.)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)