Jan 29, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
The Kings’ 1-0 victory over San Jose on Monday was only a brief respite. Their woes continued last night with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of the Phoenix Coyotes.
After playing in an exhausting six contests in just nine days, the slumping Kings will return to Los Angeles. Unfortunately they won’t find much in the way of relief there.
They will get some desperately needed off days, but they also have a tough schedule ahead of them with matches against Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Columbus. After that, the Olympic break will start, but they can’t afford to let their current plunge to extend that far.
“This home stand’s huge for us,” Kings captain Dustin Brown told LA Kings Insider. “You look at the standings, the Pacific Division, these next four games could be the biggest four games of the year.”
After going 1-5-1, the Kings have a narrow lead on third place in the Pacific Division. They have a six-point cushion in the battle for a postseason spot, but have participated in two more games than the top non-playoff team, the Coyotes.
Lately the Kings’ biggest problem has been their ability to score. They have managed to net just two goals in their last four contests. Overall, they’re in the bottom five in the league with 2.31 goals per game.
Still, Brown is confident that the Kings will be able to weather this storm together.
“It’s great when you’re scoring five goals a game, and everything’s easy and you’re winning games,” Brown said. “It’s times like these where we’re struggling to win games and we’re struggling to score goals that it’s important for us to believe in what we have here.”
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 0
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 10
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 10
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56