Jan 29, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Of all the unusual things about a hockey game at Yankee Stadium, Daniel Carcillo scoring the game-winning tally ranks pretty high. Then again, this is the house of the Bronx Bombers… so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that a guy with the nickname “Car Bomb” would nab the deciding goal as the Rangers beat the Isles 2-1 on Wednesday night.
“Well, he brings energy like we expected him to bring. He brings bite to that line,” Vigneault said. “That line with Brian and Dom can give us some good, greasy offensive shifts where they’re spending a little time in the other end.
“What they’ve done the last little while, and it’s probably why we’re winning more games right now is that you need a contribution from your whole lineup. We’re getting that line that’s scored us some big goals. Like they did tonight, that was a huge goal for us in that third period.”
It’s possible Carcillo is saving his goals for big moments. Between his time with the Rangers and the Los Angeles Kings this season, he’s scored three goals — two of which were game-winners.
One of his two goals from 2012-13 was a game-winner, too, and six of his 42 career regular season goals have given his teams two points. (Also, one of his five playoff tallies won a game.)
With all this in mind, maybe Carcillo should adapt his nickname to “timely Car Bomb.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 27
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)