Jan 29, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Of all the unusual things about a hockey game at Yankee Stadium, Daniel Carcillo scoring the game-winning tally ranks pretty high. Then again, this is the house of the Bronx Bombers… so maybe it shouldn’t be surprising that a guy with the nickname “Car Bomb” would nab the deciding goal as the Rangers beat the Isles 2-1 on Wednesday night.
“Well, he brings energy like we expected him to bring. He brings bite to that line,” Vigneault said. “That line with Brian and Dom can give us some good, greasy offensive shifts where they’re spending a little time in the other end.
“What they’ve done the last little while, and it’s probably why we’re winning more games right now is that you need a contribution from your whole lineup. We’re getting that line that’s scored us some big goals. Like they did tonight, that was a huge goal for us in that third period.”
It’s possible Carcillo is saving his goals for big moments. Between his time with the Rangers and the Los Angeles Kings this season, he’s scored three goals — two of which were game-winners.
One of his two goals from 2012-13 was a game-winner, too, and six of his 42 career regular season goals have given his teams two points. (Also, one of his five playoff tallies won a game.)
With all this in mind, maybe Carcillo should adapt his nickname to “timely Car Bomb.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)