Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.
Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.
“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”
This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.
It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.
The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).
Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)