Thomas jokes that watching State of the Union would have been more fun than Boston blowout

Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EST

timthomasbruinsgetty

Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.

Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.

“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”

This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.

It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.

The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).

Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?

1. slaugin - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Luongo has pumped Timmy’s Tires enough

2. esracerx46 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Really? Were back to political rhetoric? I find everything said to be a bunch of bologna. Speaking of which, I’m getting hungry. Watching someone eat is more entertaining than the state of the union and a panthers game.

• shortsxit34 - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM

You must be fun at parties…

• jcmeyer10 - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM

How many times have people said they need to go freshen their drink and never came back.

3. lowenni - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Oh Timmy…..

4. Shanahammer - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:23 PM

How did they bruins coax this out of him??
    By Florida defense being terrible and hanging Thomas out to
    Dry??

5. sabatimus - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:38 PM

What would be more fun is watching Thomas get suspended for that goalie stick to the head on Soderberg.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:21 AM

That’s ridiculous but if you’re suspending Thomas you damn well better be suspending Soderberg as well.

• dropthepuckeh - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:22 AM

Soderberg had it coming and is lucky the Panthers didn’t pummel him for running their goalie.

6. canucks30 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:40 PM

• pfhockey - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:52 PM

lol, guilethemefitsall

7. hazlydose - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:44 PM

No mention of his slash to Soderberg’s head with 3 seconds left?

You can take the player out of Boston, but you can’t take the Boston out of the player…

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:20 AM

We can discuss it right after we talk about Soderberg’s contact to the head with Thomas.

8. canucks30 - Jan 28, 2014 at 10:50 PM

9. drewsylvania - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:08 PM

The quip’s funny. The slash was not. Timmy should get a call from the league for that one. He won’t be aide he’s a goalie.

10. drewsylvania - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:46 PM

How “because” became “aide”: the autocorrect story.

• c9castine - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:37 AM

iphone?

11. bigdaddy44 - Jan 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM

Jack Edwards is the one of the worst announcers in all of sports. The play between Thomas and Soderberg was started by Soderberg’s attempt to spear Thomas, and then hitting Thomas in the side of the head with a deliberate motion. Thomas then whacked Soderberg in the side of the head with his goalie stick in retaliation. Even with the benefit of replay, all Edwards did was spout off about how Thomas should be suspended. No mention of Soderberg’s initial attack. Thomas did deserve more than a two minute high stick, and possibly a league review. Soderberg should have gotten not only a high sticking penalty, but deserved to be clobbered by one of the Panthers defensemen. Edwards can only see things through Black and Gold colored glasses, maybe the worst homer in all of pro sports. Brick, as a Melrose boy myself, I’m disappointed you did not step in and at least give a mention to what really happened. That’s part of the job of a color man. Maybe you’re just tired of working next to this Bozo, who is an embarrassment to the team and all real Bruins’ fans. (Most pink hats love him along with Sweet Caroline and the ‘Red Sox Nation’ garbage) NESN, please spare us the annoyance of listening to this buffoon any longer. You have in Dale Arnold a man who can step in and immediately resume being one of the best play-by-play announcers in the business. He also has more knowledge of hockey in his little pinky than Edwards will ever accumulate in his whole lifetime.

• hockeyflow33 - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Thank you for being the only other person to notice this. I’m not sure what people expect to happen when you hit a goalie in the head and neck with your stick but that was a completely justified reaction by Thomas. If you don’t want to pay the price, don’t crash the net with your stick at the goalie’s head.

Count me in on the fire Jack Edwards bandwagon. He drives me nuts and honestly ruins games for me. The puck doesn’t sizzle, no one A-frames and none of us need to hear his dumb laughter.

• amityvillefun - Jan 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Nor do we ever need to hear the following again from Jack:

“He has a bee in his bonnet”

“He has a burr under his saddle”

“Johnny Rocket with a blast from the point”

There are several others that need to be retired as well. He needs new material. I feel Brickley does a decent job as a color man most of the time.

• dropthepuckeh - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I’m a Bruins fan and I agree with you on both points. Soderberg was out of line crashing the net and had it coming.

Jack Edwards is embarrassing. I don’t hate the guy because I like that he is such as a fan but as an announcer I think he is too much. Announcers are always going to be biased but his bias is too much to stomach. He loses any credibility by being so over the top all the time. Fortunately I only have to listen to him on the away games on NESN.

• stepanup - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Can’t wait to listen to Jack rattle off ridiculous comments against the Habs on Thursday.

• cfol44 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I can’t stand anything he does!!!!! D to D, the layers apron layers of Bruins D, he’s got great hockey IQ, the list goes on and on and on. I’m so glad I have DirecTV, I hate to say this but i switch over to the opposite teams broadcast most games, unless it’s Toronto or the Habsburg, because there even worse. I’m sorry, but if you listen to either one of those 2 teams, you would think both are 1/2 in the league with 20 point leads above all the others. Plus, the crying that goes on if something isn’t called, it will go on for ever. It’s a joke.

• cfol44 - Jan 29, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I’ll give you this, I’m a life long Bruins fan and I can’t stand listening to Edwards, plus there’s nothing worse than when he does an interview and all you see in return is mouth full of YELLOW TEETH!!!!! WTF???? I’d rather listen to the opposing teams broadcast just to get a bias view!!! But, take a listen to any broadcast north of the boarder and there even worse. They cry and cry and cry about plays that don’t even happen, but they saw it.

Getting back to the Thomas play, flat out dirty, nothing more, nothing less. He got spanked all night, and was pissed. It was dirty and should be reviewed. End of play. You can’t take your goals stick and smash someone across the face with it. He was doing that all night long if you noticed. Look at the Chara goal reply, Lucic almost ate Thomas’ glove. The puck would have never gone in if he didn’t try to launch himself into Lucic, he wanted a piece of anyone that was in Black and Gold last night. One man dumb ass crew. That’s what he looked like last night. How about that Thornton goal. Way to stop them TT. Thanks for the cup, but glad you did what you did. Thanks!!!

PS, NESN, PLEASE GET RID OF JACK “yellow teeth” EDWARDS!!!! Please. Sounds like a total idiot.

12. slaugin - Jan 29, 2014 at 12:01 AM

I really thought I was the only one who is just all set with Jack Ass Edwards. I mute them and cue up Gouche and Beers on 98.5

• stepanup - Jan 29, 2014 at 8:46 AM

The Hub’s radio guys for the B’s are exceptional. I wish CSNNE would take over the Bruins TV broadcast and let those two do the TV.

13. titansbro - Jan 29, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Bruins fan here also. Jack Edwards drives me crazy as well. But he’s not even close to being as bad as Scott Zolak for the Pats on 98.5 though. I like my announcers a little more balanced & fair I honestly thought that was just me. I thought all Boston sports fans loved their homer announcers?

14. patshal - Jan 29, 2014 at 6:42 AM

U have to admit that’s pretty funny what he said about the state of the union address. Roberto luongo is insane so he probably will right something hilarious about this. He has no brains though. He told Thomas he would have stopped one of the goals in the cup final if he was playing in the crease and wasn’t aggressive. He said it is an rash save for him. He can’t even stop a puck coming right at him 1mph he can’t be talking but it was a good game and sometimes Thomas can be funny.

15. spitfisher - Jan 29, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Jack Edwards is an employee of the bruins, he is limited of what he can say and do. If you noticed never once was there a negative word on the Thorton incident from Edwards, Andy or NESN.

Unlike previous color commentators, you take the good with the bad with Edwards,its too bad its like that way.

• moarjam - Jan 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM

He’s an employee of FOX not the Bruins. He’s just a fanboy. Pretty unprofessional if you ask me.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches