Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.
Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.
“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”
This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.
It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.
The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).
Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)