Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.
Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.
“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”
This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.
It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.
The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).
Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 97
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)