Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.
Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.
“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”
This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.
It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.
The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).
Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)