Jan 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Tim Thomas was keeping a pretty low profile with the Florida Panthers, but leave it to the Boston Bruins to coax a memorable line from him.
Update: CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty provides Thomas’ full quote, which shows that he was indeed being tongue-in-cheek with his comparison between the 6-2 loss and President Obama’s State of the Union address.
“I think I might’ve enjoyed myself watching the State of the Union more,” Thomas said. “No, probably not.”
This is the second time the 39-year-old lost to his former teammates, but it might have burned a little more tonight since the game took place in Boston.
It would be difficult to lay the majority of the blame for either defeat at Thomas’ feet, even if he’ll draw the majority of the headlines.
The Bruins fired 40 shots on him on Oct. 17 and 41 tonight, scoring nine goals combined in those two contests (including six on Tuesday). One could look at those efforts as a team motivated to beat their former teammate or evidence of the talent gap between Boston and Florida (or maybe both).
Of course, the next question is: how long will it take for Roberto Luongo to write something hilarious about this?
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 0
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 7
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)