Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Thomas Vanek will be wearing the captain’s “C” once again this season, this time for his country at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Via news from Vanek’s website, Team Austria coach Manny Viveiros announced Vanek as team captain replacing forward Thomas Koch in that role.
“Vanek is a star player for us and also in the NHL, that’s enough to make him captain,” Viveiros said. “He is a role-model for all young players in Austria.”
Koch is still a member of the Austrian team at this year’s Olympics but said he was fine with the decision citing Vanek’s role as co-captain of the Buffalo Sabres earlier this season.
Vanek is one of three current NHL players on Team Austria joining New York Islanders teammate Michael Grabner and Philadelphia Flyers forward Michael Raffl. Former NHL players on the team include defenseman Thomas Pock and forward Andreas Nodl.
Austria opens the Olympics in the same group as Canada, Finland, and Norway.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)