Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Thomas Vanek will be wearing the captain’s “C” once again this season, this time for his country at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Via news from Vanek’s website, Team Austria coach Manny Viveiros announced Vanek as team captain replacing forward Thomas Koch in that role.
“Vanek is a star player for us and also in the NHL, that’s enough to make him captain,” Viveiros said. “He is a role-model for all young players in Austria.”
Koch is still a member of the Austrian team at this year’s Olympics but said he was fine with the decision citing Vanek’s role as co-captain of the Buffalo Sabres earlier this season.
Vanek is one of three current NHL players on Team Austria joining New York Islanders teammate Michael Grabner and Philadelphia Flyers forward Michael Raffl. Former NHL players on the team include defenseman Thomas Pock and forward Andreas Nodl.
Austria opens the Olympics in the same group as Canada, Finland, and Norway.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)