Jan 28, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Thomas Vanek will be wearing the captain’s “C” once again this season, this time for his country at the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Via news from Vanek’s website, Team Austria coach Manny Viveiros announced Vanek as team captain replacing forward Thomas Koch in that role.
“Vanek is a star player for us and also in the NHL, that’s enough to make him captain,” Viveiros said. “He is a role-model for all young players in Austria.”
Koch is still a member of the Austrian team at this year’s Olympics but said he was fine with the decision citing Vanek’s role as co-captain of the Buffalo Sabres earlier this season.
Vanek is one of three current NHL players on Team Austria joining New York Islanders teammate Michael Grabner and Philadelphia Flyers forward Michael Raffl. Former NHL players on the team include defenseman Thomas Pock and forward Andreas Nodl.
Austria opens the Olympics in the same group as Canada, Finland, and Norway.
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37