Jan 28, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
By re-signing Henrik Lundqvist, the New York Rangers answered their biggest free agent question coming into this season, but they still have two more important players to re-sign … or trade. Tuesday’s TSN Insider Trading segment indicates that a lot can change in the next few weeks for both Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi.
In fact, Bob McKenzie reports that one or both could be traded if they don’t re-sign them by the trade deadline.
In particular, Darren Dreger reports that Rangers GM Glen Sather is “gauging interest” regarding Callahan’s value by reaching out to an unspecified number of general managers. The team appears more confident about their chances of retaining Girardi’s services, according to Dreger.
Term could be the biggest sticking point
It may come down to the Rangers balking at the two unrestricted free agents’ asking prices. Bob McKenzie reports that both are looking for long-term deals. Girardi is reportedly seeking a six or seven-year deal in the Jay Bouwmeester range ($5.4 million) while Callahan wants a seven-year pact worth $6 million per season.
Callahan will be 29 and Girardi will be 30 in the first year of their next deals, so term could be the largest sticking point, especially for two players who tend to block a lot of shots and throw their bodies around.
Speaking of such roles, there’s also the possibility that current head coach Alain Vigneault simply doesn’t hold them in the same regard as John Tortorella once did.
Their ice time makes that argument, at least. Girardi is averaging 22:39 minutes per game this season after getting 25:25 per night in 2012-13 while Callahan is down to 17:54 after logging 21:31 per contest last season. It probably doesn’t help Callahan’s cause that his season began with some injury woes.
There is still plenty of time for the Rangers to re-sign one or both of these key contributors, but if these reports are correct, things could become interesting if they can’t compromise on contract extensions.
At the moment, Cap Geek projects their cap space at $29 million with 10 roster spots accounted for heading into 2014-15.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
This one got a little testy.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
No penalty on the play, for those wondering. Appeared clean all the way.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:34 PM EDT
Oct 31, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
Folks continue to rally around Mr. Hockey.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
What is going on with the defending champs?
Oct 31, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
He’s on the left in that photo. Doing what his old man used to do.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:36 PM EDT
Has been on quite a roll down in Utica.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
Meanwhile, sounds like Carter Ashton makes his season debut.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The hit occurred seconds before Vancouver scored.
Oct 31, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Hasn’t played since Oct. 8.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:36 PM EDT
Could play Saturday against Washington.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
At the same time, Claude Julien admits the B’s “are still trying to find that confidence level that comes with winning on a regular basis.”
Oct 31, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Veteran forward is hurt again.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
On a professional tryout contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Former 13th overall pick doesn’t want to comment on trade rumors.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Club is dealing with a team-wide bacterial infection.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“He was the bettor. He bet on football games.” And that, according to Steve Bartlett, is all he did.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)