Jan 28, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
By re-signing Henrik Lundqvist, the New York Rangers answered their biggest free agent question coming into this season, but they still have two more important players to re-sign … or trade. Tuesday’s TSN Insider Trading segment indicates that a lot can change in the next few weeks for both Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi.
In fact, Bob McKenzie reports that one or both could be traded if they don’t re-sign them by the trade deadline.
In particular, Darren Dreger reports that Rangers GM Glen Sather is “gauging interest” regarding Callahan’s value by reaching out to an unspecified number of general managers. The team appears more confident about their chances of retaining Girardi’s services, according to Dreger.
Term could be the biggest sticking point
It may come down to the Rangers balking at the two unrestricted free agents’ asking prices. Bob McKenzie reports that both are looking for long-term deals. Girardi is reportedly seeking a six or seven-year deal in the Jay Bouwmeester range ($5.4 million) while Callahan wants a seven-year pact worth $6 million per season.
Callahan will be 29 and Girardi will be 30 in the first year of their next deals, so term could be the largest sticking point, especially for two players who tend to block a lot of shots and throw their bodies around.
Speaking of such roles, there’s also the possibility that current head coach Alain Vigneault simply doesn’t hold them in the same regard as John Tortorella once did.
Their ice time makes that argument, at least. Girardi is averaging 22:39 minutes per game this season after getting 25:25 per night in 2012-13 while Callahan is down to 17:54 after logging 21:31 per contest last season. It probably doesn’t help Callahan’s cause that his season began with some injury woes.
There is still plenty of time for the Rangers to re-sign one or both of these key contributors, but if these reports are correct, things could become interesting if they can’t compromise on contract extensions.
At the moment, Cap Geek projects their cap space at $29 million with 10 roster spots accounted for heading into 2014-15.
May 25, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Wagner or Fleischman could draw in tonight.
May 25, 2015, 8:15 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
May 25, 2015, 12:00 AM EDT
Two sides to the coin in a shutout.
May 24, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Bolts take a 3-2 series to Tampa Bay.
May 24, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
The Lightning are 7-0 when scoring the first goal in the playoffs.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)