Jan 28, 2014, 1:18 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks have been struggling lately, but on Jan. 18 they started a patch of contests that seemed ideal for burying that slump. They would play five straight games against teams that don’t hold a playoff spot and host four of those matches.
They closed out that stretch with a 4-2 loss to the Edmonton Oilers, bringing them down to 3-2-0 during that stretch. Vancouver didn’t win a single game by more than a goal and haven’t since Dec. 29.
This also means that the Canucks are just 4-7-3 over their past 14 contests.
At least Jordan Schroeder provided the Canucks with a silver lining. The 23-year-old forward scored twice in his first game with Vancouver since October. Schroeder has missed most of the 2013-14 campaign due to foot and ankle problems.
David Perron opened the scoring at 9:11 of the first period and found the back of the net a second time just before the first intermission. He ended up collecting an empty-netter as the contest was winding down to complete the hat trick.
It was Jesse Joensuu that got credited with the game-winning goal though. The 26-year-old scored for the 10th time in 98 career NHL contests.
Vancouver’s schedule will pick up now with a match against the Chicago Blackhawks before they begin a five-game road trip that will take them to the Olympic break. The Canucks still have a five-point lead over Phoenix in the battle for a Wild Card spot, but they have also played in two more games.
Apr 23, 2014, 2:17 AM EDT
They’ll be facing elimination on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Stunner at the Staples Center.
Apr 23, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Impressive, but just his first marker of the series.
Apr 22, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
Apr 22, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT
“They thrived on it.”
Apr 22, 2014, 11:06 PM EDT
Some thought he was milking an injury and even holding the wrong knee.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Flyers fans give it right back, though.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Get this: people will be talking about Flyers goaltending.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Not exactly a thing of beauty, but it counts…
Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 PM EDT
Kept him out of the entire opening round.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
Boston’s first win at Joe Louis Arena in seven years.
Apr 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
Not the names you’d expect, huh?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Tampa Bay hits a wall called Montreal.
Apr 22, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Another blowout coming?
Apr 22, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
And creates a little bit of controversy in the process.
Apr 22, 2014, 8:41 PM EDT
Could this be his last appearance with Tampa Bay?
Apr 22, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Also: Capitals Winter Classic and Islanders ownership talk.
Apr 22, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Steve Mason backs up Ray Emery for Philly.
Apr 22, 2014, 6:42 PM EDT
Who can take a 2-1 lead?
Apr 22, 2014, 6:25 PM EDT
At least there wasn’t a school bus involved with this comparison.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)